Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT ASSIST: Front hub nut

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
If you don't have air tools and can't seem to loosen the nut with your normal breaker bar go find a 4 or 5 foot pipe and follow this guys instructions.
I just broke TWO breaker bars using this method, including my favorite that I had for 15 years.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I feel like reading this thread has made me realize how really attached you were to that breaker bar!

On a serious note, buy the $40 electric half inch impact wrench on harbor freight, it'll pay for itself the first day. You think that nut is hard? Try a tdi flywheel removal...... anyways, buy it!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I feel like reading this thread has made me realize how really attached you were to that breaker bar!

On a serious note, buy the $40 electric half inch impact wrench on harbor freight, it'll pay for itself the first day. You think that nut is hard? Try a tdi flywheel removal...... anyways, buy it!

I already have it, it did absolutely nothing.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If I thought I was going to do very many hub nuts, I'd buy a 3/4 drive breaker bar and appropriate socket. Then I'd add a cheater with some confidence.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

^ agree.
your favorite breaker bar was not up to task. get one that is. you can get impact reducers, so you don't have to get new socket. go to plumbing section at hd and get an extension pipe. if you are a featherweight, get a long one and stand on it. bounce. don't forget to pop up the divot.
1 1/4" fits better....less slack

Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Colorado David
If I thought I was going to do very many hub nuts, I'd buy a 3/4 drive breaker bar and appropriate socket. Then I'd add a cheater with some confidence.
I have one (and a cheater, which I used with my 1/2 bars) What I didn't have was a 3/4 drive 1 1/4 (32mm) socket. And no one had one in stock.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dusty1
^ agree.
your favorite breaker bar was not up to task. get one that is. you can get impact reducers, so you don't have to get new socket. go to plumbing section at hd and get an extension pipe. if you are a featherweight, get a long one and stand on it. bounce. don't forget to pop up the divot.
1 1/4" fits better....less slack
I looked for a 3/4 drive to 1/2 drive reducer they are not that common and are relatively hard to find even online. And even with that the reducer might not be up to the task (the weak link in the chain), AND there is a time element here, I need the truck ready for this weekend. I have a pretty well stocked professional box for a home enthusiast. Hindsight is 20/20. I am neither a light weight in body or experience. The problem isn't the mechanic it is this truck.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I wasn't questioning your heavyweight abilities. just saying I am at 230lbs, so it makes it easier with the help of less gravitational pull.
you can go to hf and get reducers 3/4 to 1/2......get a couple if you want to have a spare. cheap. the whole set is just the price of a cup of coffee.
you did pop up divot?

Old 07-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Mudding

Ok he got the nuts off and then, I don't know how located the new nuts in the center console of my truck (i told them to just put the old ones back on), installed the new nuts and indented the safety detent.

Can I back these out and reuse?

Old 07-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes. I just reused one on a rear hub this morning.

Quick Reply: URGENT ASSIST: Front hub nut