Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent Purchase Question - Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 12:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover
Op, I think is the truck @ Garrett. 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series Ii SE 4WD 4dr SUV In Marietta GA - Garrett Sales

And of course on CL: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ctd/6028202820.html

For giggles I called them, lets see if the story matches up. Told me this was "the owners car". I asked when the head gaskets and oil pump were replaced > answer... "I don't know, wait (he went to ask) never". I then asked was the transmission rebuilt/serviced > answer.... "no, it shifts great". That answer was quickly followed by, "We offer a warranty you can buy that if, and not to say that you will, but if you have trouble with the head gaskets or transmission it will be covered."

I'm sorry you are having trouble finding a truck, but these guys are full of
Eh I don't think they are deceiving anyone. They have been very fair and open with me, it's just an issue that you have to take into account when buying a 15 year old truck. Like I said, he's been driving it for over a year so probably feels normal. It is the owner's truck. They have great google reviews and all my interactions with them have been positive.

It's not that I'm having trouble finding one, I've having trouble finding a very clean sorted, no issues one for a good price. I've been browsing craiglist daily for rovers for the last 6 months almost.

Last edited by Bob_Bobber0; 03-29-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:00 PM
Drifting

I don't particularly find much of this thread 'helpful'. Making fun of a "dealer" when he has been straight up with the potential purchaser doesn't help the OP in any way, shape or form.

If you believe that 3k is a fair price for your dream vehicle and you go into it knowing that you'll have maintenance to tend to then I say 'go for it'. From experience I can tell you that you'll most likely need the head gaskets replaced as well as the front drive shaft rebuilt if they haven't already been done. If you are handy with a wrench you shouldn't have any difficulties working on her. If you aren't handy with a wrench then I'd suggest factoring in $2500 for head gaskets and $400 or so for a new or rebuilt drive-shaft being installed.

As for the transmission, I'd be curious if the fluid has been checked in a while. The DII isn't like most vehicles and you have to check the fluid from below the rig. It may be something as simple as changing it out and topping it up.

Like others here, I'd advise taking it to an independent mechanic or perhaps taking it for a test drive and snapping some photos of it on your own of areas of interest. A picture is worth a thousand words but memories of your rare dream color and combo are priceless.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

On a positive note: Non SAI motor and non ACE rig. Two less systems to worry about.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Drifting

I will request that the mods delete this thread I have gathered all I need to hear and would rather not have a trail of people bashing this dealer who has been very fair and honest with me.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:51 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Most people on the forums, this one included, have learned from hard prior experience not to buy these trucks from dealers. The worst of the worst problem trucks are sent to auction when some poor hapless soccer mom trades in their poorly maintained truck on a new Toyota and it's immediately sent off to auction, where said used car dealer gets it and applies a few cosmetic fixes or blacks out the Check Engine Light.

None of this is aimed at your dealer, its the way it is with Rovers. Most guys and gals here either do their own work or seek out vehicles from private sellers who have kept maintenance records. Also most experienced owners/shoppers take a code reader along or stop by someplace to get the codes read on a test drive to uncover any hidden surprises.

If you don't do your own work, then you should have both a fat wallet and a very understanding significant other.

Do what you want, but criticism of dealers in not a personal rip on you or that dealer. It is a universal truth when buying these trucks.

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-29-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I'll pay up to 6K for a clean well kept D2 (04 being the 6k and lower for older years).

Used transmissions are like 400.00 and honestly it's a very stout tramsmission. I'd certainly drop the pan and change the filter and do a refill (NOT a complete flush) and see how it goes.

3k to me for a clean D2 isn't bad at all. Cheapest D2 I've bought was 1,500.00 thru a friend who worked on this ladies D2 & when she went to sell it I got it cheap. It had been sitting 6 months at his shop over a dead battery and alternator..... D2 is dang near flawless and she maintained it very well up until the alternator died.

Most expensive was my 03 SE7 back in 2005 lol.

Certainly take it to have a shop look over it before commiting to buying it. If it's what you want go for it. I love LR's and I can live with their little flaws for there unique looks, and awesome off road abilities.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I think one thing a lot of folks are forgetting is used transmissions and how rust free the trucks are in the south. Also in GA in general Land Rover's in general pull higher bucks due to less of them being around.