Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used purchase of Disco II 02

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used purchase of Disco II 02

In response to the welcome from Savannah Buzz ....
My lights are the three amigo's and check engine light..
I bought the rover from a guy in Florida that spent a lot of time on the beach...like literally in the sand with the tide lapping on the tires I guess..so the corrosion is obvious on this vehicle... I also have no AC and various other little things like the remote and key for the door locks and ignition are wore out sunroof wont open now the tailgate glass hatch door wont open... I am thinking the corrosion has took its toll on the grounding of the wiring best case or the motors that drive these systems are shot...I dont know...I paid 4600 cash...The truck drives well and interior is nice.. I have an appointment at the Land Rover dealership here in Mobile Al on Wednesday of this week..Gonna have them give their total recall on this thing and see how much of it I can do and how much they will get paid to do..

Thanks for advice

Last edited by chermecz; 07-09-2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Proper user name
Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Buy did someone see you coming.
With a list of issues like that truck has, I would not take it to a dealer but to a small Rover shop cause the dealer will easily charge you twice as much if they can figure out the issues.
Before you spend any more money on this, get back with estimates on each of the trucks issues so we can make sure you are not getting screwed.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Drifting

Thanks! I will use the Rover dealer for my initial diagnosis but tell them too not perform any fixes before they have contacted me first.. One more thing my wife took the truck to autozone and they scanned it with their tool no codes came up...I realize that Rover has their own diagnostic scan tool but can I trust anything from autozones peek at it?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chermecz
Thanks! I will use the Rover dealer for my initial diagnosis but tell them too not perform any fixes before they have contacted me first.. One more thing my wife took the truck to autozone and they scanned it with their tool no codes came up...I realize that Rover has their own diagnostic scan tool but can I trust anything from autozones peek at it?
No! Land Rovers DII's-current are OBDII meaning they use a generic scanner that most other cars use. LR is only specific on the 3 amigos which requires a special scanner. Go to the indy shop first. Dealers are for parts. You will still get a $200-$400 bill just to look at it without doing anything. live and learn though.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Drifting

OK I have a have a shop in Mobile that specialize in LR's I will use them.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Drifting

Update on diagnostic of my 02 D2: ABS shuttle valve replacement, AC blower motors front and rear plus a resistor or 2 and charge the system, valve cover gasket oil leak and also recommends plugs and wires.. No price yet on these... said they would have a price breakdown tomorrow... I am thinking that between the AC and shuttle valve job it could be 4000 bucks.. If I use the trick posted at the top of D2 thread concerning the Three Amigo's https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...s-fault-26847/.. could I avoid the ABS modulator change out or rebuild? Not sure if you can rebuild the shuttle valves.. any suggestions?

thanks

Last edited by chermecz; 07-12-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

getting ripped off. Do not spend $4K.

You can buy a whole newer Discovery II for 4K and all that will work too.

Want to blow money?
Buy all of us Land Rover advisers dinner

I do this for free.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Drifting

I have not got the price yet.. I told him to have a good look at the truck and tell me what they find and then I will let em know what to repair..or not..
I am learning much from you fellas on here if I could I would buy ya dinner..

Old 07-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Winching

Dude, for 2k I will personally fly in and take care of your shuttle valve issue. You might be really pissed though when It only takes me 2 hrs from set up to clean up and $50.00 worth of seals from falcon works in AZ!!! I hate to say it but your going to get screwed and not even get a kiss if it costs $4000 for shuttle valves and A/C. BTW you could probably buy every new piece for the A/C system for less than 2k. Lines, evaporator, etc!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by chermecz
I have not got the price yet.. I told him to have a good look at the truck and tell me what they find and then I will let em know what to repair..or not..
I am learning much from you fellas on here if I could I would buy ya dinner..
ALSO, valve cover leakage is something that must become accepted on these trucks. I've seen brand new valve cover gaskets leak after 200 miles. Go figure! Just don't over tighten.