Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V288/FV308 PCV Install (Best4x4 Mod)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NewToTheTwo
So I had this problem. I pulled up on the thing and ended up breaking off the top.
I drilled a small hole and put a drywall screw in a couple of turns to have something to grab a hold of.
It broke again.
All the while I was spraying PB Blaster in it.
I started spraying brake parts cleaner in as well thinking "its oil in there, this might work better"
After probably a good hour of doing all of this, it finally moved DOWN like 1/8".
So at this point I could move it up and down maybe a 1/4" total so I kept doing that as gently as possible spraying brake cleaner in as well.
All of a sudden it pulled out about an inch then finally all of the way........ I was using large needle nose pliers, grabbing the small nipple that was still in place.

What a terrible mental experience this was because all I was thinking is "I dont want to pull the valve cover....I cant pull the valve cover, I have to drive this thing tomorrow..." LOL

Once out, it took like 5 mins to finish up
How good did it feel when you finally got it removed? I did it on both my D2s and they both had their challenges with the baffle. Took it out in pieces on the first go-round and only broke it once on the second.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ha ha thanks mate broke mine thought I was in real trouble.

Originally Posted by Best4x4

I've had a lot of PM's regarding my FV308 PCV upgrade on the Bosch 4.0L & 4.6L engines found on the 99-04 D2 and 99-02 P38. With the OEM setup you have two plastic pieces in the system. One is located at the Intake Manifold (Black 1/4 Threaded Nipple) and the black plastic baffle mounted inside the nipple on the passenger valve cover. The nipple mounted on the intake manifold is well known for breaking clean off & the fix most people did was replace it with a standard 1/4 threaded nipple found at any auto parts store or even a hardware store. That solved the weak link at the intake manifold, but it left you with the plastic baffle that can very easily clog causing your valve cover gaskets to seep like crazy due to increased pressure inside the engine. I wanted to find a permanent solution, but at the same time I wanted it to look OEM. I searched and searched and finally found the FV308 PCV. Below are the instructions on installing it.

1. Purchase the FV308 PCV from either Rock Auto, Ebay, or your local parts store.
2. Disconnect the clamp holding the breather hose onto the OEM Black Plastic Nipple
3. Remove the breather hose and then using a 14mm box end wrench remove the OEM Black Plastic Nipple.
4. Thread the FV308 into place, and re-install the breather hose and breather hose clamp.
5. Remove the breather hose clamp on the opposite end going to the passenger valve cover and the breather hose.
6. On 99-02 models spray a bit of carb spray into the hole to loosen it up, and then gently pull up and remove.
On 03-04 models you will actually have to remove the nipple from the valve cover. I've had success with using
electrical tape around the nipple and then gently twisting it out. Once out remove the baffle and then drill out the
hole in the nipple. Then re-install the nipple into the valve cover.
7. Re-install the breather hose and hose clamp and you are done.

Now you've got a metal nipple vs the OEM plastic one along with a PCV.

***If you have a 99-02 D2 and when you tried to remove the baffle it broke into pieces don't panic.
I've had this happen on a few I've installed for friends/customers. Take a cordless drill with a small drill bit, and carefully
and slowly drill all the way thru the baffle. Once all the way thru take a 2.0inch long drywall screw and thread it into place
until you have about 1/4 of an inch hanging out above the nipple. Then just take your needle nose or pliers and carefully pull up***

***If you have an 03-04 D2 you will want to open up the hole in the nipple once you have it out to remove the baffle. You can drill it out to 3/8 or larger or carefully just chop the top off. Then you'll have the best flow to the FV308.***

As I'm writing this I don't have any pictures, but I'll take some when I can and update the Sticky.
. I bust mine it was clogged solid I’ll do what you suggested yours good man Charlie Brown

Old 10-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

I'm now getting around to this on Redrover. I removed the hose from the valve cover connection and not surprisingly, the plastic oil separator was stuck tight. I recall it being stuck tight nine years ago when I replaced the head gaskets. I wish I'd known then what I know about this now now. Oh well.

Redrover is not a daily driver, so I sprayed the oil separator with a cocktail of carb cleaner and PB Blaster. I'll let it sit overnight, or longer, and see how it goes. I plan to just keep wiggling it and keeping it wet with solvents until it comes free. I'll update this as things progress.

Last edited by mln01; 10-08-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Default My oil separator

I too broke mine I soaked in brake cleaner gently punched out it was solid clogged passenger side was missing I had oil in my intake plenum, I also took out the separator plates in the rocker covers they were just caked doug on Atlantic British vid said if the rockers are clean inside It means the vehicle was maintained and oil changes done it’s a learning experience sometimes costly I’m a cleaner of parts I love a nice engine bay, back to the oil separator having broke mine I glued it back together it’s a tight fit should still work but ordered 2 more from LR Direct.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:39 PM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

there's only supposed to be a baffle on the passenger side. driver's side is supposed to be clear, with no baffle.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok thanks for that someone didn’t ask the question I noticed on schematic on which way gases flow pas side only goes up into intake drivers side goes back and fourth ill address that tomorrow thanks

Old 10-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

On my '03 I did the FV308 install a while back.

Few days ago I used PB Blaster and managed to get the stock separator out. It was totally clogged up. Tossed it and drilled out the metal housing. D2 runs even better, much smoother idle for sure.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Three Wheeling

So u don’t run with any separator now

Old 10-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 762 Likes on 498 Posts

where is everyone purchasing their FV308 valve from? I am unable to find one in stock seemingly anywhere..

Old 10-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Got mine from Napa same number but ordered two stock separators from LR direct will use one of those

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (10-08-2019)

Quick Reply: V288/FV308 PCV Install (Best4x4 Mod)