Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

v8 series 2 idles but won,t rev need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:22 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v8 series 2 idles but won,t rev need help

Hi need help bad driving out my drive way motor just stalled restarted went to drive off stall started again drove 10km's died like it was running out of fuel ,tow to garage put scan tool on found air flow meter code replaced it drove it stoped 4km's down the road same thing happen so replaced throttle position senor still the same idles great just won,t rev and will do barely 80km,s it,s like its got a lean condition as it coughs if you nail it and the dies need help no one can help me have pulled the pump to check the screens all ok please someone give me some help as it's my only car thanks andrew

Old 10-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Quit throwing parts at it. What were the fault code number that caused you to think it was a MAF and an idle control solenoid and be specific?
Did you install a new Bosch MAF with matching part numbers, anything else will not work.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Mike's right, your problem might not even be under the hood, could be the vehicle speed sensor on the transfer case, when it gives trouble it acts like a limiter to prevent "over speed". And other items. Need exact code numbers if you can get them. I don't mind throwing a sensor at it if it costs less than a tank of fuel. But one that costs $$$$ - that's another issue.
D2 doesn't work that way. No VSS.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, I found this in the workshop manual:

Vehicle Speed Signal (VSS)
The VSS is used, by the ECM, to control idle speed and overrun cut off. The ECM receives the signal through a hard
wired connection direct from the SLABS ECU.
For vehicles fitted with an automatic gearbox, two vehicle speed signals are received by the ECM. The second signal
is derived from the main gearbox output shaft speed, and is sent to the ECM by the Electronic Automatic Transmission
(EAT) ECU though the Controller Area Network (CAN). The ECM compares the vehicle speed signal generated by
the SLABS ECU with that supplied via the CAN.
The ECM also receives transfer box information. This allows the ECM to take in to account the vehicle being driven
using low range gearing and compensate as necessary.
On vehicles with manual transmission, the SLABS signal is checked against a threshold value stored in ECM memory.
If other engine parameters indicate the engine is at high load and the VSS is below the threshold, a fault condition is
registered in the diagnostic memory.
The vehicle speed signal generated by the SLABS ECU is in the form of a pulse width modulated signal (PWM).
Pulses are generated at 8000 per mile, and the frequency of the signal changes in accordance with road speed. At
zero road speed the ECU outputs a reference signal at a frequency of 2Hz for diagnostic purposes.

I believe the over run cut off may be Rover-speak for "limit" , and I removed my original note as the exact operation could certainly be different for a D! and D2.

But the main point remains, quit throwing sensors that cost half a flat screen at it....

Old 10-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

vehicle speed signal, not sensor. It uses ABS wheel sensors for most of the important stuff, including providing road speed to the speedometer.

The D1 are the trucks that have a problem where the vehicle speed sensor goes bad and cause rough running.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:13 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found problem second air flow meter bad fitted another unit fixed never gone so good was a dog since i got it thanks everyone for the help thanks again