Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 or td5

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
Cummins 4BT would be perfect if I could get some sort of "inspection sticker doner friend", same power output, and would last until Land Rover is bought and sold 6 more times and goes under.
I think I have figured out a way around this, as well as the whole importing a diesel Rover or any Rover that is less then 25 years old.
Dealer licence!!!
As long as the "dealership", thats you, owns the vehicle and has the dealers licence plate on it it can be driven anywhere in the US.
So you would need to get your dealership licence, get your dealer plate, and then away you go.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:48 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
See the problem with doing the diesel conversion here in the US is that once you buy the engine, adapter plate, all of the accileries and the like and then do all of the work you are into the project for about $10,000USD.
Now add that diesel is more expensive here than petrol.
Yes you will almost double your MPG but with premium petrol currently around $3.50 per gal and diesel is about $4.00 per gal.
So the diesel conversion is about 3 years worth of normal driving with the current price of petrol.
Not to mention a person will never recoup the cost of the conversion.
Also something we have to consider is that in some states they do emissions testing and when they do that they go by the VIN#, and if the engine does not match what the VIN# says it is supposed to have you will fail the emissions test and then you cannot drive it.
You guys are so lucky to live in the states and to have fuel at them prices, gas is so cheap at the side of ours, we have been to the US 3 times now and the hire car allways has a full tank of gas, its great for us

Last edited by DII G; 12-17-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the rover but my motorcycle is the key to happyness when the weather is above 40 and theres no rain/ice, leaves or bennies around haha! 40+mpg and 170hp to 600 pounds of weight, so gas price I could care less about haha, that and Im lucky enough to have a 2 mile round trip commute where most people here average an hour to an hour and a half in bumper to bumper traffic. what i care about is making my disco LAST, she never sees above 2k rpm and wont be going offroad until she has skids, gears and a beater car to get me where im goin when she blows up or i fall off a cliff haha

Old 12-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
I love the rover but my motorcycle is the key to happyness when the weather is above 40 and theres no rain/ice, leaves or bennies around haha! 40+mpg and 170hp to 600 pounds of weight, so gas price I could care less about haha, that and Im lucky enough to have a 2 mile round trip commute where most people here average an hour to an hour and a half in bumper to bumper traffic. what i care about is making my disco LAST, she never sees above 2k rpm and wont be going offroad until she has skids, gears and a beater car to get me where im goin when she blows up or i fall off a cliff haha
we have a few guys in our club that off-road their daily drivers. it's our club motto. "you'll never rover alone"

Old 12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DII G
You guys are so lucky to live in the states and to have fuel at them prices, gas is so cheap at the side of ours, we have been to the US 3 times now and the hire car allways has a full tank of gas, its great for us
The because they charge us YOUR price per gallon if we bring it back empty.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
The because they charge us YOUR price per gallon if we bring it back empty.
ye and maybe a bit more if they feel like it haha