Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum leak type whistle / squeak around 3500 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vacuum leak type whistle / squeak around 3500 RPM

Last question for the day (I hope). I've been noticing a bit more hesitation in the upper RPM's (including odd shifting up higher). Not that I am there often, but in the 3500-4000 RPM range I hear a whistle type noise from under the hood. I've noticed it a lot more lately as I've been going to the ski place by us, and the hill to climb while leaving is touch (foot flat maxing out around 40MPH lately). So no, I don't drive it like a sports car but once in a while hit those RPM's.
While messing around today, I had 1/2 can of seafoam sitting around so figured I would do an induction cleaning. I noticed it a lot more during the "clear out" phase where you get to drive it like you stole it for a bit. I searched all over, but can't seem to track down a vacuum leak. I had a hose come off the air intake boot that goes from the MAF to the throttle body a while ago, but did a decent fix with apoxy and gorilla tape and it seems like that part is solid and I had tested it out.
Any usual suspect places for vacuum leaks/vacuum issues? Also, any idea what this cut off tube is from? I can't seem to find that one in the Rave.
Name:  utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMTE1LTAwNDEzLmpwZw-1.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  183.9 KB

Old 01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Tube is a vent for front diff, tranny, or transfer case, etc. One pro Rover tech suggested a method for finding vac leaks - shove a clean oil filter into the air intake hose removed from air cleaner. Makes so much vacuum they really howl. Could also attach a vac gauge, and squeeze off fittings or remove and plug to look for changes. Not than many places where vac attaches.

But seems like with pedal floored, you would not have much vacuum, so it may be an exhaust whistle.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-15-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Tube is a vent for front diff, tranny, or transfer case, etc. One pro Rover tech suggested a method for finding vac leaks - shove a clean oil filter into the air intake hose removed from air cleaner. Makes so much vacuum they really howl. Could also attach a vac gauge, and squeeze off fittings or remove and plug to look for changes. Not than many places where vac attaches.

But seems like with pedal floored, you would not have much vacuum, so it may be an exhaust whistle.
Thanks. I know the tranny vent is on the other side, and this piece looked more like it was cut/broken. I was thinking for a bit it was the exhaust whistle too, as it looks like I have a small leak by the connection a bit upstream from the o2 sensor (noticed today while doing the seafoam). It seems to lose power at that point though, so that is why I'm thinking that maybe there is a leak somewhere, maybe in the intake area.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

So plug this one and see what happens. But don't leave it plugged. Tranny I think. See attached, #7.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
output.pdf040.pdf (578.4 KB, 133 views)
Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So plug this one and see what happens. But don't leave it plugged. Tranny I think. See attached, #7.
The tranny one (bent tube) is on the passenger's side, so it is not that one. This is on the driver's side.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Buzz, I'm trying to figure out the oil filter thing but can't visualize what actually happens with that.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

There is one for tranny, and one for front axle, and I believe one for Transfer case. The rover tech said remove hose that feeds MAF from air filter, and obstruct. He mentioned a clean oil filter, and he may have been talking about a D1. This forces most of the suction thru the vac leak,making it "come alive".

Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

There is one for tranny, and one for front axle, and I believe one for Transfer case. The rover tech said remove hose that feeds MAF from air filter, and obstruct. He mentioned a clean oil filter, and he may have been talking about a D1. This forces most of the suction thru the vac leak,making it "come alive".
Geez, figured it would stall out the engine quickly. I might give it a shot, just not sure with an oil filter. By the way, I think "Jersey Buzz" sounds good. Plenty of nice areas with shade trees to relocate to!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Test found nothing. Driving to airport right now and p0102 came up as pending. No cel. Runs fine. Let me guess, maf related? I mess something up or just fallout from test you think?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Data sheet attached. Low air flow - parts vulture's nest in air filter? No, your close off the intake test triggered this, and it should go away , requires positive test on two drive cycles to trip MIL.

Some use starting fluid and spray around suspect leak points at idle, listen for change of engine speed.

I used to work for a firm out of Parsippany, can you still walk across the Passaic in the summer?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
p0102.pdf (735.7 KB, 137 views)

Quick Reply: Vacuum leak type whistle / squeak around 3500 RPM