Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum lines in intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I've never messed with that fitting but it looks like a collet-type connection where you press on the collet on the end to release the retaining teeth holding the tube inside the fitting. The hose is sealed to the fitting with an o-ring. Is that correct? You can gut the fitting and tap threads into it or pull out the whole fitting and tap the manifold for a brass nipple.

As for the liquid tape, it is like vinyl tape that comes in a can that you can brush on connections. Very similar to plasti-dip. I think you are better off with the RTV.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I've never messed with that fitting but it looks like a collet-type connection where you press on the collet on the end to release the retaining teeth holding the tube inside the fitting. The hose is sealed to the fitting with an o-ring. Is that correct? You can gut the fitting and tap threads into it or pull out the whole fitting and tap the manifold for a brass nipple.

As for the liquid tape, it is like vinyl tape that comes in a can that you can brush on connections. Very similar to plasti-dip. I think you are better off with the RTV.
The hose itself has a slightly larger diameter part toward the end that looks like a permanent o ring and that keeps it from being Sucked past the fitting. That seats against a narrow portion of the fitting. The red clip I keep mentioning appears to keep the hose from easily pulling out when there is no suction, and may hold it close to the constricted part of the fitting. They break easily if you are removing the hose and don't hold the red clip tight against the fitting.

Seeing the entire fitting (from the link above) tells me that removing it will probably require pulling it through the inside of the throttle body. I'd like to add a brass fitting by making new threads.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you can find it at Home Depot... in the electricity department .... look around and you find it....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...400/100119178#

check the link.....

Last edited by marizcal; 01-05-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Liquid tape probably isn't the best permanent fix, but like you I'd also like to add a brass fitting there. I just really don't want to pull the plenum off for that little leak. I'm waiting for something else to happen so it has to come off anyways. I just went with the liquid tape because I didn't want to have to get all the rtv off later.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I just put some mastic tape on it. Inelegant but fictional. I really want a brass fitting and some better line that what I have.