Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

value of my disco

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default value of my disco

I have a 2000 Disco II. I am the original owner. It has 142,000 mile on it. I have taken very good care of it, servicing it regularly and replacing parts as it has needed to be. I have also added OME 2 inch lift, Hankook Dynapro MT tires, all Terra Firma bumpers, rock sliders, brush guard, and front and rear wide wheel arch fenders.

The engine finally gave out as it overheated and it is beyond repair according to the mechanic who has maintained it since the warranty expired. I can get a good used 4.0 replacement installed by The British Garage (formerly known as The Rover Group) in San Diego for about $5000. My wife thinks I should sell it off for parts. I love this rig and would prefer to install the engine and drive it for many more years. I figure I know its history and I probably cannot buy another disco that would be as dependable for the same price as putting in the new engine.

So here is my questions:
What would you do?
About how much would someone pay for a Disco that is not running?
About how much would someone pay fo the same Disco with a new engine?

Old 08-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

If you like it fix it and keep it.

$500-750 for a dead Disco.

Other one depends on how nice it is but probably in the 5k range

The following users liked this post:
water rover (08-13-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 03:41 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Did he specifically say what is beyond repair since it overheated? Very few things would cause one of these to be beyond repair, I've been told I needed a new engine 3 times by various LR specific shops over the years. It was only true the 4th time.

The only thing that would make it non repairable is a cracked block which is what I finally had. That involved coolant getting into a cylinder, no overheating involved.

Overheating usually is a symptom of a bad cooling system or a head gasket failure. You don't mention if you've had the HG's done before. If not you are over the mileage that it usually needs done.

I would be getting a second and third opinion on this one. Unless there is more to the story...

Looks like a nice truck, hope your wife can understand why you would want to keep it.

Last edited by Dave03S; 08-10-2018 at 04:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
water rover (08-13-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

These things are becoming rare and hard to find in good shape
keep it

Old 08-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

off topic how did it do pulling the airstream and how long/heavy is it?

Old 08-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Try to fill the D2’s shoes with a modern replacement Toyota 4Runner TRD comes to mind is 47-50k easy. So a new 5k engine or 10K Trailhead 4.8L LS swap for 10k is no where near that!! If any engines die for me to where I can’t repair it I’ll do an LS Swap from Trailhead and keep on trucking vs a 50k Toyota I won’t want to scratch or enjoy for years the way I enjoy my LR’s!

Old 08-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Or just do the obvious

Buy a used motor with 100 k on it. Do hg, water pump, etc and swap it out. Easy peasy

Old 08-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

With all of the goodies, l'd say this rover would be in the $1000/$1500 range to an enthusiast...maybe more depending on location and condition of frame/body. For a rover enthusiast to drop a motor in her would be a couple days work and cost of engine, minor stuff.

Me, if the frame is perfect, l'd do the swap (Trailhead LS) and be done with engine issues for a long time.

Brian.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Overheating is probably a blown headgasket, about a $1500 repair, but if you have it at the local LR shop then they obviously are not interested in the minimal cost repairs. I normally recommend only bringing LR's to LR shops, but sounds like your local shop is not helpful. You might consider buying the engine yourself and finding a shop that will do the R&R.

Your truck story is very good and I can understand why you would be reluctant to sell. $500-750 is normal for a Disco with a blown engine, but yours has several nice accessories so I would put the value at about $1500 to the right buyer. I would put the bumpers value at $500 front and $250 rear, your sliders are about $250, looks like you have $250 in tires on it. Transmission, transfer case, interior parts, etc. are another $500.

With a rebuilt/new engine I would put the value at $5000/6000. If it was mine I would figure out a way to keep it, but then I already have 5. My reasons:
  1. The Disco does not get significantly worse fuel economy than any modern rig,
  2. It rides better, handles better than contemporary rigs (Tahoe, Cherokee, etc).
  3. Parts are as cheap or cheaper than contemporary rigs
  4. Off-road/inclement weather capability that is better than other rigs
  5. More luxurious than contemporary rigs
  6. Better heavy duty/towing capability than lighter duty rigs (Toyota/Nissan/Isuzu/etc)
  7. They are the right balance between old school and modern - fuel injected with abs but relatively simple compared to the modern overhead cam engines and 8 speed transmissions.
  8. As safe or safer than many modern rigs due to height, structure, and dynamics. My daughter flipped an escape but never would have in her Disco
You got 18 good years out of the first one. Put another one in it and keep going.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Buy a GEMS P38 motor and do a Bosch swap on it, live happily ever after with a low cost bill and no experimenting with LS engines.

I pay max. $850 for nice Discos like yours. I'm cheap though..

Quick Reply: value of my disco