Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

value of my disco

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by water rover
So here is my questions:
What would you do?
About how much would someone pay for a Disco that is not running?
About how much would someone pay fo the same Disco with a new engine?

$5,000.00 is too much for a used engine. You can pay a little more for the one on AB. But I don't know anything about it. Better yet find out who AB gets it from and buy it direct for half the price ha ha.

If you can do the labor yourself you might as well get a junkyard engine.

I would keep it, if you have the money. It's only $5,000.00. Good luck getting a similar feeling used car for that price. Oh wait that's right. There is no similar feeling to an original made in UK LR. IF you get the new TATA LR's , you're not making a good purchase decision. That is how I feel about the new TATA LR's.

What happened that made the engine overheat? Did you get a new max capacity aluminum radiator with grey or inline T-Stat and use green or distilled with 2 bottles of ice/wetter ?

Or did you use the stock T-stat ... stock rad with orange Dex...

Old 08-10-2018, 09:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Happy wife, happy life

Old 08-11-2018, 04:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Yeah, originally l was going to say, "dump the wife"...but if that's her exiting the passenger door...she looks kind of cute. Now, if that's your girl friend...then we have to revisit my original thought...lol.

​​​​​​​Good luck, with your endeavor.

Brian.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:56 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Yeah, originally l was going to say, "dump the wife"...but if that's her exiting the passenger door...she looks kind of cute. Now, if that's your girl friend...then we have to revisit my original thought...lol.

Good luck, with your endeavor.

Brian.
We had an expression when I was in my late teens and early 20's, "women are easy to come by and hard to get rid of"

Old 08-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
With all of the goodies, l'd say this rover would be in the $1000/$1500 range to an enthusiast...maybe more depending on location and condition of frame/body. For a rover enthusiast to drop a motor in her would be a couple days work and cost of engine, minor stuff.

Me, if the frame is perfect, l'd do the swap (Trailhead LS) and be done with engine issues for a long time.

Brian.
Yes, the frame is perfect. It has never been in an accident nor has it ever rolled over.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 99FLDISCOII
$5,000.00 is too much for a used engine. You can pay a little more for the one on AB. But I don't know anything about it. Better yet find out who AB gets it from and buy it direct for half the price ha ha.

If you can do the labor yourself you might as well get a junkyard engine.

I would keep it, if you have the money. It's only $5,000.00. Good luck getting a similar feeling used car for that price. Oh wait that's right. There is no similar feeling to an original made in UK LR. IF you get the new TATA LR's , you're not making a good purchase decision. That is how I feel about the new TATA LR's.

What happened that made the engine overheat? Did you get a new max capacity aluminum radiator with grey or inline T-Stat and use green or distilled with 2 bottles of ice/wetter ?

Or did you use the stock T-stat ... stock rad with orange Dex...
Yes it overheated and the mechanic said there is coolant in the cylinders. I am not a mechanic, just someone who loves the drive of a D2.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I wear gloves when I work on my truck cuz I don't like getting my hands too dirty. Mine needed a headgasket job and it was done over the course of 2 weekends, with a broken head bolt along the way. That was about 18 months ago. Truck still running fine. Haven't seen anything in your posts that makes me think the engine is toast. Sounds like a headgasket, and maybe peripheral stuff. For about $200 or so in parts and a weekend or two, you can see if it's toast, or just a bit broken.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jamestfl
I wear gloves when I work on my truck cuz I don't like getting my hands too dirty. Mine needed a headgasket job and it was done over the course of 2 weekends, with a broken head bolt along the way. That was about 18 months ago. Truck still running fine. Haven't seen anything in your posts that makes me think the engine is toast. Sounds like a headgasket, and maybe peripheral stuff. For about $200 or so in parts and a weekend or two, you can see if it's toast, or just a bit broken.

Thanks for this advice. I am not very mechanically inclined, but I will ask if a head gasket is all it could be. It sounded to me that since it overheated, and there is coolant in the cylinders, then it means it needs a replacement. I will ask again. And again, thank you.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
off topic how did it do pulling the airstream and how long/heavy is it?
It does great pulling our 1973 Airstream Landyacht. It is 23 feet tail bumper to hitch. Total weight with full tank of water is 3700 lbs and actual tongue weight is 725 lbs. With the OME 2 inch lift it drops a little back, but never drags or scrapes. It would be nicer to have a longer wheel base, but I tow this thing without any stablizers and it does just fine.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,403 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by water rover
Thanks for this advice. I am not very mechanically inclined, but I will ask if a head gasket is all it could be. It sounded to me that since it overheated, and there is coolant in the cylinders, then it means it needs a replacement. I will ask again. And again, thank you.
Any coolant in the oil or just the cylinders? coolant in the oil is usually a blown front cover gasket (cracked cylinders are very rare) and coolant in the cylinders is just a blown head gasket (stock ones do not last forever).

Quick Reply: value of my disco