Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve cover Gasket and Water Pump job

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Valve cover Gasket and Water Pump job

I needed to to the Valve cover Gasket for a while but have not had chance to get that done. Since My water Pump is leaking I need to do that immediately.

I decided I am going to tackle both at the same time this weekend.

Water Pump:
dusty who I know had suggested on a post here to replace the water pump with
airtex w/ brass impeller
Land Rover Discovery 2 1999 2004 Water Pump with Gasket New Part STC4378 | eBay

Does anyone know if this is the same as the British Rover ? Water Pump (STC4378) For Discovery, Range Rover & Defender Vehicles

Do I need any other parts for this?

Valve cover gasket:
I have both the valve cover Gasket and intake upper gasket. Do I need any other Gasket or parts to replace since I am going to get down there.

I have watched the video from How To Replace Valve Cover Gasket On BOSCH Engines On Land Rover

Does anyone have access to a good instruction ?

Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2015, 04:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
I needed to to the Valve cover Gasket for a while but have not had chance to get that done. Since My water Pump is leaking I need to do that immediately.

I decided I am going to tackle both at the same time this weekend.

Water Pump:
dusty who I know had suggested on a post here to replace the water pump with
airtex w/ brass impeller
Land Rover Discovery 2 1999 2004 Water Pump with Gasket New Part STC4378 | eBay

Does anyone know if this is the same as the British Rover ? Water Pump (STC4378) For Discovery, Range Rover & Defender Vehicles

Do I need any other parts for this?

Valve cover gasket:
I have both the valve cover Gasket and intake upper gasket. Do I need any other Gasket or parts to replace since I am going to get down there.

I have watched the video from How To Replace Valve Cover Gasket On BOSCH Engines On Land Rover

Does anyone have access to a good instruction ?

Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks
Neither of those links are to an aborted wp. Try bputah.com

Old 08-31-2015, 06:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Aborted water pump? I can't guess what autocorrect did there.

Either of those pumps will work but I would get the airtex as dusty suggests. You don't need anything else other than the tools to remove the fan and water pump bolts, and some sort of gentle scraper for any of the old gasket that is left over. The links you posted come with a gasket.

The valve cover gasket and upper intake gasket will be simple. The valve cover bolts require a specific socket that I can't remember at the moment. I also use RTV on my valve cover gasket both to make it seal and hold it in place when I install it. The plenum gasket will be simple but you may need a socket or other improvised tool to gently press it over the guides. It will be obvious.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-31-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:55 PM
Rock Crawling

I already ordered the Airtex. I wanted to catch the long weekend. My other question you just answered Charlie - to or not to use RTV. I think I am all good I have all the parts i need.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2015, 05:08 PM
Camel Trophy

I already ordered the Airtex. I wanted to catch the long weekend. My other question you just answered Charlie - to or not to use RTV. I think I am all good I have all the parts i need.

Thanks
Again opinions differ but I do not use rtv on the water pump and mine doesn't leak at all.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Again opinions differ but I do not use rtv on the water pump and mine doesn't leak at all.
I was thinking to use RTV on Valve cover Gasket. those need to be sealed tight for Oil leaks.

I saw Valve cover bolt torque around 10 (not 6) and definitely use Locktile

Water Pump torque 15

Are these correct?

Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe I can help with the parts sourcing next time.
OEM parts at great prices: MEYLE Engine Water Pump 112 29002 500 | OEM Part Haus

EUROSPARE Engine Water Pump 112 29002 613 | OEM Part Haus

Old 08-31-2015, 09:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I used Indian Head shellac on my water pump gasket.

Might want to get a new heater pipe o-ring O RING HEATER PIPE DISCOVERY II, 38A R/R, RND354, ERR6434 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts in case yours looks weird after removing that pipe. The universal o-rings sold in auto parts stores look close, but don't seal. I thought my intake or head gasket had failed when I started mine after using a "closely sized" o-ring. Coolant was leaking out from that connection and running down the valley to the back of the engine.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Camel Trophy

I was thinking to use RTV on Valve cover Gasket. those need to be sealed tight for Oil leaks.

I saw Valve cover bolt torque around 10 (not 6) and definitely use Locktile

Water Pump torque 15

Are these correct?
That's correct. I am real bad about not using a torque wrench but be sure you tighten the water pump bolts in a cris cross pattern like you would a wheel to ensure a good seal. Some have used "right stuff" on the water pump gasket. The problem with that gasket is that it is hard to line up and keep in place when you put it on so something something little sticky might be of benefit just to hold it in place while you work. It wants to fall and you can't see well if you are replacing it on the engine. Maddening. But mine has been fine without rtv or anything extra. I would definitely put rtv on the valve cover gasket and be sure not to overtighten those little bolts because they strip easily and finding something else to go there would be very difficult.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Rock Crawling

Ordered heater pipe o-ring. waiting for the parts to arrive and start the work this weekend.

Question for everyone. Those spacer washer from Valve cover Gasket people mentioned be careful not to drop, do I still use them with new Gasket?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Valve cover Gasket and Water Pump job