Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve cover Gasket and Water Pump job

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

No problem. Somebody had a write up on those bolts and used Allen heads. I didn't torque mine on the intake. If it calls for a low torque setting, I just use a 1/4" drive on em n try not to overtightem them. On the front cover topic, it can be done still in the truck. Chubbs just did the front main seal and I am gonna do mine. The hardest is getting the crank pulley off.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
No problem. Somebody had a write up on those bolts and used Allen heads. I didn't torque mine on the intake. If it calls for a low torque setting, I just use a 1/4" drive on em n try not to overtightem them. On the front cover topic, it can be done still in the truck. Chubbs just did the front main seal and I am gonna do mine. The hardest is getting the crank pulley off.
Funny how we start to snowball once we start working on our Rover.

I started with small noises in the Pulley! now I am changing the AC bearing, all the Pulleys, belt, VC Gasket and more

I went ahead and got new bolts (Pic). new bolts have 6 points 11mm head fits perfectly i have not mounted yet. It's too darn cold to be in garage today. 29 degree in Austin TX. Those old Bolts are Joke. There so many engineering screw up on this truck. these Covers are too heavy for only 4 skinny bolts. in my opinion there should have been 3 on each side and design should have been easier to access.

By the way I would love to see how you are going to do the front seal. I am just getting started on the leak tracking. I still think most of my leaks are from Synth oil.

Thanks again for your help

Attached Thumbnails Valve cover Gasket and Water Pump job-vc-bolts.jpg   Valve cover Gasket and Water Pump job-vc2.jpg  
Old 01-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Chubbs actually texted me some pictures of how he did it. I'll post em but they are compliments of him.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Here are the pics that chubbs (Joe) sent me.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks not too clear but I can guess. I have to look into some video or some other instructions. I will look today to see if I have leaks there. There are some definite leaks under. I have to start from the top one at a time. I don't have any drips just wet in several places.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling

word of advise never try to do Valve cover when outside temperature is cold. I just struggled with. the Gasket is hard and does not fit i had to clean the Parmatex and going to do inside the house 1st part and let it dry overnight may be before i put back.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Valve cover Gasket

I started in the Garage. because of the low temp the darn Gasket kept on shrinking on me.

using permatex copper spray gasket. I am going to put on the Valve side let it dry then spray on the other side before I install. I am sick of this stupid leaks.
designed by some idiots.

Also replacing with new 11mm head bolts. If that still leaks then i will have to bring some big gun - LOL

Mounted the covers on my casual dining table and catching up on the Sense 8 on Netflix - nice and warm

Attached Thumbnails Valve cover Gasket and Water Pump job-vc-bolts.jpg   Valve cover Gasket and Water Pump job-img_5700.jpg