Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve stem seal replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 01:53 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve stem seal replacement questions

Rovers, has anyone replaced the valve stem oil seals on their own? I can’t find in the RAVE how to remove the coils. I just recently realized what these seals were. On another note, anyone know what these rubber gaskets (16) are for that come in the Atlantic British head gasket kit?

How to replace these?

What are these? Have 16 of them.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

the large rubber seal is for the GEMS motors, the head kit works for both versions, so those are a toss-out item for Bosch 4.0/4.6 engines

For the valve seal, you'll need to pull the head off, compress valve spring with an appropriate tool, remove the valve keepers, the spring top hat, then the spring, and then the valve will come out of the combustion chamber side of the head. The new seal will then install from the top side

The following users liked this post:
Stephen Perez (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 02:14 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
the large rubber seal is for the GEMS motors, the head kit works for both versions, so those are a toss-out item for Bosch 4.0/4.6 engines

For the valve seal, you'll need to pull the head off, compress valve spring with an appropriate tool, remove the valve keepers, the spring top hat, then the spring, and then the valve will come out of the combustion chamber side of the head. The new seal will then install from the top side
alright, sounds like I won’t be replacing those stem seals then haha and good to know I didn’t forget those other seals somewhere on the block rebuild. Thank you!

Old 02-19-2020, 02:24 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Valves are actually easy to remove, and a C clamp compressor is under $20

Old 02-19-2020, 02:28 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

whowa004 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 04:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

Hi I have changed stem seals with out taking the head off and takes a lot of patients to do it, first remove the spark plugs to allow the engine to turn easily, then bring the cylinder you want to work on up to TDC, that stops the valve dropping out, (very difficult to get back in but I have done it), Imade up a simple tool to push the valve sting down to remove the collets it bolted on to the head using the bold hole in between the valves , when you push down the valve will sit on the top of the piston, the continue to push until you can remove the collets, remove the spring and remove the seal, now at this point the only thing stopping the valve falling through is the piston, I now bent an old screwdriver 90% or in a nice curve with a bit if trail and error bent it so I could put it down the spark plug hole and lift the valve , now fit the new seal , spring and top and compress the spring, to fit the collets, if you cant just get the collets in the lift the valve from inside the cylinder using the bent screwdriver, tit the collets and release the spring move onto the next, believe me when I say practice make it faster

DakotaTravler (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 05:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by frostythor
Hi I have changed stem seals with out taking the head off and takes a lot of patients to do it, first remove the spark plugs to allow the engine to turn easily, then bring the cylinder you want to work on up to TDC, that stops the valve dropping out, (very difficult to get back in but I have done it), Imade up a simple tool to push the valve sting down to remove the collets it bolted on to the head using the bold hole in between the valves , when you push down the valve will sit on the top of the piston, the continue to push until you can remove the collets, remove the spring and remove the seal, now at this point the only thing stopping the valve falling through is the piston, I now bent an old screwdriver 90% or in a nice curve with a bit if trail and error bent it so I could put it down the spark plug hole and lift the valve , now fit the new seal , spring and top and compress the spring, to fit the collets, if you cant just get the collets in the lift the valve from inside the cylinder using the bent screwdriver, tit the collets and release the spring move onto the next, believe me when I say practice make it faster
Reinstall can be made pretty easy by hooking shop air into your spark plug hole, simply picking up on the valve stem till the air is holding it in place, then following standard procedures to reinstall the spring and retainer.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Yes I can see that could work, but when I needed to do it I did not have a compressor , so I use a bent screw driver,,... lets not forget "improvisation is the mother of invention"

Old 02-20-2020, 08:22 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

I've heard of people feeding nylon rope into the cylinder, allowing it to coil on top of the piston. That stops the valve from falling in when you are reinstalling the collets.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:08 PM
Rock Crawling

OK but lets not forget when the piston is at TDC, there is not a lot of room above it

Quick Reply: Valve stem seal replacement questions