Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle won't start when jumping battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vehicle won't start when jumping battery

Dear LR forum

Could surely need your help here!

I was out of town so my wife drove my 2003 Discovery 2, pulled it into the driveway but forgot to turn off the lights, since she was used to her car which has automatic light turnoff feature.

So the battery drained and needless to say the car won't start. I called AAA roadside assistance and when they try to jump the battery, the instant they connect the cables the horn starts going off, the hazard light is flashing and the car won't start. To clarify, when I turn the key, nothing happens.

It appears the car has disabled itself. I have two key remotes, none of them work when you press the unlock button.

I quickly looked at the manual and couldn't find anything relevant. It's a weekend and there's no one to call.... I looked at some posts here and there seems to be a procedure for un-immobilizing the vehicle

Thanks in advance for your help

Al
2003 D2

Last edited by aguison; 01-26-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You are correct, your D2 has disabled itself. I had this happen, I believe it was similar at the Mid-Atlantic Rally event last fall, and Zphoto (Zach) helped me out with the key sequence in the drivers door. I believe you need to close the doors, and maybe the hood & rear gate as well. Then put the key in the drivers door and turn it to the right then back to center, and repeat 4 times and then turn it to the left. I may have my count wrong, it may be 5 turns to the right and back to center, and then 1 turn to the left and back to center.

Give it a try. Zach actually did the magic on mine, after I was playing with trying to jump it, and then checking the starter/ignition system with a meter to see which may be the problem. I will see if I have any notes on this to confirm, or maybe Zach will jump in.

I found this thread with more about the security system, and the door key sequence. Take a look.

I think this is the information. Looks like it is 5 key turns which actually lock the door. Again, I am not an expert, and I did not do the key sequence on mine, but read through this. Yea, I know this references the P38 Range Rover, but it worked on my D2.

Generic EKA Procedure on NAS Range Rovers
The EKA feature does not seem to be enabled on US vehicles, or some Australian ones, and is not mentioned in their owners' handbooks (but see "rest of world" section below). However there does seem to be an abbreviated version of the procedure available on NAS models, intended to be known only by Land Rover dealers and using a generic code (1515) for all vehicles. One US owner with a 2000 Range Rover had his vehicle stranded with a dead battery and no remote available, but when jumpering it got the message "Engine Disabled, Press Remote". Since he did not have a remote, he managed to reactivate the vehicle using a variant of the EKA procedure that the dealer confided -- the dealer was fairly sure that almost all NAS P38's have the same EKA code, which is:
Unlock once
lock 5 times,
unlock once,
and then lock 5 times.

Here us the link to the thread where this was originally posted if you want to read a little more about the circumstances.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-please-62677/

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 01-26-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Mudding

Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply. Need a couple of clarifications on this

My car is in the driveway and when I try to connect a jumper cable the horn starts blaring. Do I need to disconnect the horn as part of this process? How can I close the hood if I'm using jumper cables?

My plan is hook up a battery charger to recharge my battery, disconnect the horn, and when the battery is charged reconnect the cables (this time there will be no horns blaring), close the hood and all doors, and then follow the EKA procedure.

Is this right?

Thanks

Al

Old 01-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

just hold the hood switch down

Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
just hold the hood switch down
+1 put some heavy tape over the hood switch in the down position and then put something heavy enough to hold it down. Don't disconnect anything/equipment electrical otherwise it may create another fault in the system.

Disconnect the battery and recharge it overnight reconnect it then close all of the doors and lock them with the remote and then use the remote to unlock them. This should have reactivated the system and immobilizer. DON'T FORGET TO ENSURE YOU HAVE YOUR RADIO CODE HANDY FIRST OTHERWISE THAT WILL BE YOUR NEXT PROBLEM.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Mudding

That worked!!!

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post

To recap (in the future for people who encounter this same problem)

1. If your battery dies, first recharge the battery
2. Make sure the hood switch is depressed (I placed a book on top of the switch and added a 10 lb weight on the book).
3. Close all doors
4. When battery is charged, reconnect battery cables
5. Press the unlock button on the remote
6. Enter the vehicle - you will find the red alarm LED flashing, ignore it
7. Start the vehicle

Thank you again

Al

Old 01-28-2014, 05:26 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by aguison
That worked!!!

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post

To recap (in the future for people who encounter this same problem)

1. If your battery dies, first recharge the battery
2. Make sure the hood switch is depressed (I placed a book on top of the switch and added a 10 lb weight on the book).
3. Close all doors
4. When battery is charged, reconnect battery cables
5. Press the unlock button on the remote
6. Enter the vehicle - you will find the red alarm LED flashing, ignore it
7. Start the vehicle

Thank you again

Al
Hi aguison

I'm pleased it all worked out for you. I did exactly the same, called for dinner and left the interior light and radio on for two days - flat battery couldn't even open the doors. I was stupid I broke a rear door window to gain entry but there is yet another dodge to reinstate the battery. You crawl under the truck and hook up a battery charger to the starter motor terminal and chassis, negative on the chassis and positive to the starter motor (have I got that the right way around?) this will charge up the battery and allow access via the remote fob and you are back in business without smashing any glass.

Pleased for you it all worked out OK.

I'm sure these both should be a 'sticky' for some other misfortunate who locks him/herself out of their truck it could save them some cash not having to call for a breakdown truck. I don't know how one creates a sticky though.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 01-28-2014 at 05:30 AM.