Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration at 73 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get between 21 and 22 mpg on the highway with my 01 ALL DAY LONG... anyone who wants to argue that point can come see for themselves... I will personally give out my address for anyone dumb enough to show up...

Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Funny how everyone here gripes about poor mpg and all of the sudden posters reveal 20-24 mpg. There are some serious elementary math deficiencies here or everybody saved their copy of this.....

http://www.google.com/products/catal...CB0Q8wIwAjgA#p

"Classic account of how numbers can be manipulated to produce desired results."

Attached Thumbnails Vibration at 73 mph?-fibbers.jpg  

Last edited by Frank4; 11-18-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Griping about fuel mileage? Yes, I admit I do, but I knew what to expect when I bought it. It will never get the same mileage as my wife's Accord, and mine takes premium fuel, so I'm always hoping for a miracle that will triple my mileage

My usual week involves driving to and from work (3.5 to 4.1 miles one way) four times a day, five days a week. Weekends aren't usually much different, maybe a little further distance, less often. Checking my receipts: 13.2, 13.7, 13.5, 13.6 MPGs. I don't think that's too bad for driving 4 miles, parking for several hours, driving 4 more miles, etc.

Last weekend I drove ~130 miles highway to visit a friend in another city, then spend the day driving around that city on the highways, sightseeing. Before returning home, I put 12.1 gallons in the tank to fill it, and my odometer was 254.7 miles. That comes to 21 MPG.

I drive my vehicle like it is overweight and underpowered (LOL). 65MPH on the highway. Replaced both front o2s this year, new plugs this year, and only Phillips 66 gas 92 octane or better.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Mudding

Actually I get ~150 mpg for 2 miles when I shift to N coming down South Mountain!

Seriously, I get 15 MPG city/hwy and I don't baby it. I don't believe the EPA is going to buy anything higher than that. If you want more you can always buy a Prius! I hear they are pretty good in 12" of mud.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Again my question to you guys that get ridiculous mileage: what are you doing so much better than factory to beat the EPA by 30-50%? I know EPA is an estimate based on a realistic driving mix (hills, fast starts and stops, traffic, idling etc), but that still begs the question: what are you doing different to beat a factory spec by so much?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by discoklein
I get between 21 and 22 mpg on the highway with my 01 ALL DAY LONG... anyone who wants to argue that point can come see for themselves... I will personally give out my address for anyone dumb enough to show up...
Is there a "like" button for this thread? Oh wait...there is!
Thank you discoklein!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortTom
Again my question to you guys that get ridiculous mileage: what are you doing so much better than factory to beat the EPA by 30-50%? I know EPA is an estimate based on a realistic driving mix (hills, fast starts and stops, traffic, idling etc), but that still begs the question: what are you doing different to beat a factory spec by so much?
I'm not sure what everyone else runs, however, I'm sure I go majorly overboard....
Volo fuel saver chip
Royal Purple in the oil, tranny fluid, differentials, etc.
Magnecore wires
New o2's
Tires inflated @ 38psi front, 42psi back
Driveshafts lubed every 3k with Royal Purple Grease

Once again, i'm SURE I go way overboard when it comes to trying to save gas, but hey, I used to get 12mpg highway when I first bought it, so i suppose i've come a long way

Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Mudding

Oh yeah, my mileage definitely increased when I went to the Royal Purple 85W140 in the drivetrain!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireman
Oh yeah, my mileage definitely increased when I went to the Royal Purple 85W140 in the drivetrain!
lololololololol

I'm switching from that crappy Valvoline tube grease ASAP then!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortTom

If you are including me in the ridiculous mileage group: Mechanicals: new spark plugs and front oxygen sensors (same in theory as EPA test vehicles), BG synthetic fluid in transfer case, front and rear axles. I have a brush guard and lights, but no roof rack. I am the only person in my vehicle, and I have only a tow strap and trailer mount and ball in the cubbys in back. Driving: like stated previously, 4 miles one way to work. I come home for lunch. There is one uphill going, and one returning. 5 stop signs, and 4 stoplights. Speeds range from 25MPH to 45MPH. The main thing I do is, drive this like a 4,500LB 180HP vehicle; if I am the first car at a red light, at least 3 cars will have passed me before I get to the posted speed. I anticipate traffic.

Quick Reply: Vibration at 73 mph?