Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration at 73 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok found something. Was your distance measured with your trip or by Google or something? I'm not believing this...if I do it opens up a Pandora's box of my Rover's inadequacy. I'm averaging 15 mixed, 16.5 if I'm really lucky and drive conservatively.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Measured by trip. Im not sure what google brings up...I have to get off the highway like every two hours because my passengers ::cough cough:: the ladies ::cough cough:: like to drink a liter of diet coke and wonder why they have to go to the bathroom the whole trip. Hence, my mileage may be different from Google's.

I stop at those 2 stations usually every time when I travel to the south, and i usually average the same every time. Well....in August i got 18.8, however, I was stuck on I-465 for an hour in traffic lol.

What brand of gas do you use?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I am enjoying the chat on miles per gallon and am now thirsty for a diet coke, actually Diet Dr. Pepper, but anyone have any ideas on the harmonic-like vibrtations? I hate to have to pull the front driveshaft just to rule it out. Thanks Phil

Old 11-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
NO WAY IN HELL ANYONE IS GETTING NEAR 20 MPG!!!! 16 is at the top, you need to check your math Spike!
The first year I owned my truck I got 24 mpg on a 700 mile trip.
Repeated the trip 2 weeks later and this time brought both kids, my pregnant wife and a cooler full of Pepsi and food and we got 22 mpg.
That was summer time with the a/c on and the cruise set at 65.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Jesus H. Now the REAL BS starts!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey Phil my guess would be the drive shaft if there are no weights missing from any tires.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 'BamaBoy
Measured by trip. Im not sure what google brings up...I have to get off the highway like every two hours because my passengers ::cough cough:: the ladies ::cough cough:: like to drink a liter of diet coke and wonder why they have to go to the bathroom the whole trip. Hence, my mileage may be different from Google's.

I stop at those 2 stations usually every time when I travel to the south, and i usually average the same every time. Well....in August i got 18.8, however, I was stuck on I-465 for an hour in traffic lol.

What brand of gas do you use?
Usually Speedway 92...why? I usually steer clear of SuperGasAmerica of whatever, but I didn't think these trucks were THAT picky.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
The first year I owned my truck I got 24 mpg on a 700 mile trip.
Repeated the trip 2 weeks later and this time brought both kids, my pregnant wife and a cooler full of Pepsi and food and we got 22 mpg.
That was summer time with the a/c on and the cruise set at 65.
Ok Spike. I respect you voluminously. But what the heck do you think was happening so right that made you get a 50% better economy than EPA?

Also, what are you getting now, and what's changed since? Surely you can't just say compression loss/engine wear has made the difference.

Sorry Phil we're running a dual thread here. I get a similar vibration that occurs at about 3 seconds intervals (silence/smooth for three seconds, then about one second of a really tight frequency vibration). I always thought it was my tires, which are getting worse for wear.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey ShortTom there is no explaining 24mpg because it didn't happen.

Bamaboy, our trucks have 22 gallon tanks. Are you saying that you only put 17 gallons in your tank and drove 300+ miles?!

Phil, also had a vibration after I had my DS rebuilt. It would start at about 70 and settle down around 75. I took it off and had it rebalanced.

Last edited by Frank4; 11-18-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortTom
Usually Speedway 92...why? I usually steer clear of SuperGasAmerica of whatever, but I didn't think these trucks were THAT picky.
Mine is SUPER picky. BP i get terrible mpg, same with Speedway. I get about 12mpg with speedway and bp. I strictly use Shell/Marathon/Pilot.

So here's a pic of my proof: (1/4 tank on mine means 15 gallons will be needed to fill the tank)
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33786

View picture #1. 283.x miles. I filled up later that day at 320.6 miles on the tank, and used 17.14 gallons. This gives me 18.7mpg with running the A/C. People can call me a liar, okay, so i secretly went and filled my tank part way so i could take a lousy pic?

Spike and I don't have "the chosen" rovers. Heck, mine got 12mpg highway when I first got it. Changing all four o2 sensors, running good oil with good plugs and wires makes a lot of difference.

Keep her happy and she will keep you happy in return....for the most part that is

Frank4: I thought they were 25 gallon tanks? Thanks what the rave and my manual says at least.

ljdiscovery: Sorry for creating a dual-thread here

Last edited by 'BamaBoy; 11-18-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration at 73 mph?