Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration above 2800 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vibration above 2800 RPM

I've had a vibration on my 00 Disco with 118K that I can't quite pin down, so wanted to ask the experts. It only happens under load, and once you crest around 2800RPM. It does not matter what gear you are in. I will give some background to hopefully help out:
I think I have ruled out the transmission and drive train. All seem solid. After getting the truck about a month ago, I have changed the transmission fluid and the diffs/transfer case. The transmission and front diff seemed to have been changed recently, where as the transfer case and rear seemed older. I have inspected all of the driveline, and there is no play at all and everything seems 100% (I will likely have it checked or rebuilt regardless, but I'm thinking this is not the issue). In addition, I ran seafoam through, as well as put some in the oil and fuel. Afterward, changed the oil to M1 10w40.
As far as other stuff, there was a major overhaul done about 7,000 miles ago by the previous owner. Everything like the head gasket, timing chain, plugs/wires, MAF, Idle Air, radiator, gaskets, etc were done. I will attach a picture of the invoice ($3K without labor).
Not sure what other type of info I could provide, except the vibration is fairly bad into the upper RPM range, most noticeably when going up a hill. It is not in this range often, but at least twice a week (tonight included) there is a long steep climb leaving the ski area.
Only other issue right now is a leaking lower coolant hose which is ordered, and what seems to be a small leak from one of the power steering hoses I still need to track down. The engine temp stays perfect, she doesn't blow smoke or burn coolant, the plugs look like they are operating in normal spec and fuel economy has been around 14MPG for around town. There is what sounds like a valve tap from the engine, but didn't sound too different from the slew of others I had looked at. I understand she isn't a Spring chicken, so a bit of a loud engine doesn't bother me that much, as long as I could keep it from getting worse.
Thanks in advance! Here are the invoices from the previous owner (and yikes...that had to be $6K job with labor!).
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDE3NDYtMjAxMTAyMTMtMjMyNS5qcGc.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  52.0 KBName:  utf-8BSU1HMDE3NDUtMjAxMTAyMTMtMjMyNS5qcGc.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  50.9 KB

Old 02-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has the front propshaft been rebuilt with greaseable U-joints? Or been replaced with a new one? With 118k miles the propshaft could be the culprit. Best way to check the propshaft for any play in the u-joints is to remove it and inspect it. If it breaks off while driving it can cause lots of expensive damage.
Also, check the rear propshaft U-joints and rubber coupler for any excessive wear/cracks.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TimesEffing2 on that front drive shaft.

BMW wasn't smart enough to put grease zerks in the u joints that are in the double joint where the driveshaft meets the transfer case. Over time, the factory grease dries up and the joints eat themselves. The resulting "BANG!!!!" is a new transmission.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking

I am not as familiar with the 00 as mine an 03 but the front prop shaft if it is having an issue will not create a shake. it will make a whining noise and then explode. you might want to check the rear driveshaft as it connects to the rear diff. there is the rubber roto-flex. it can get soft and create a mild vibration. I an changing out mine later today. the feel between a new one and the one on the truck is simply amazing. I will be looking at getting rid of this in the future but in the mean time a new roto-flex is cheaper and quicker.Good luck let us know what you find. Oh, find an independent LR mechanic you will get better service and save a butt load of cash that you can inturn spend on your truck in other ways, like a snorkel or better bumpers or locking diffs...

Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet it is a dried / cracked / separated engine mount.

This is based on your statement that the vibration is there above 2800 RPM independent of speed.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by unimoged
I bet it is a dried / cracked / separated engine mount.

This is based on your statement that the vibration is there above 2800 RPM independent of speed.
That was my 1st guess as well, but wouldn't you feel more of a clunking on initial acceleration with excessive engine movement? I need to play around with this theory though.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by roverDII
Has the front propshaft been rebuilt with greaseable U-joints? Or been replaced with a new one? With 118k miles the propshaft could be the culprit. Best way to check the propshaft for any play in the u-joints is to remove it and inspect it. If it breaks off while driving it can cause lots of expensive damage.
Also, check the rear propshaft U-joints and rubber coupler for any excessive wear/cracks.
I can't tell if it has every been replaced or not. I'm looking to have them all done anyway, but they do seem very solid. Zero play, the rubber looks good and no signs of cracks or excessive wear.