Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: Hard Labor Creek Tire Carrier Install on Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks beefy! I like the diamond plate bumper too.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Does it trip the 3-amigos or blow the head-gaskets?
Well the Amigos are already tripped, but only when its damp outside, that's just cause I spend all my free time welding on a bumper instead of fixing my 3 Amigos, even though I have the ABS Amigo. I trade metal fabrication for maintenance lately.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the mechanics of it and I think it is pretty cool. The only thing I do not like is the angled tire but that is only my personal preference, I would like to see it straight up and down.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The angled tire would not be my first choice either. From research on YouTube & the Internet and looking at other fixed tire carriers. It seems the angled tire setup is used for over sized tires and to avoid striking the tire on a steep angle off roading. Hard Labor Creek lowered the tire 4" from where it normally sits.

This is what I was trying to avoid going with the parallelogram setup. Looks like the guy could air down and make his life easier.

WBR - New Years Day 2010 - LJ.1 - YouTube

Here is how to DIY your own tire carrier...Its even a british video on a Range Rover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9og6nZ1WrE

Last edited by bosshogt; 11-10-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The first video issue would be remedied by having a better latching system. I do see the Disco being so extreme in wheeling to take some really steep drop off to need the angle of the tire. I liked the DIY on the Range but there the window angles too so the tire looks better to match it a little bit. On the Disco it is fairly flat so I personally like the vertical look.

Also, I love the mechanics of the carrier, it is very clever. I am malking one right now myself but it will be a split carrier with fuel cans as well. It will be more work to open everytime but it will be very functional.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Dave!

The main reason that the tire mount has the angle built into it is minimize the distance that the tire has to sit away from the door and help clear the carrier structure. It also helps when you are lifting a spare tire that weighs anywhere from 75 to 120 pounds by shifting the weight towards the truck and not having to worry about the tire falling off before you get the lugnuts in place.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Did a random guy put a SOLAROS business card on your rover, if so that was me.
I vaguely remember seeing this disco in my neck of the woods, I'm part of SOLAROS and I try to tag every rover I see with a business card.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by HLC Fab
Looks great Dave!

The main reason that the tire mount has the angle built into it is minimize the distance that the tire has to sit away from the door and help clear the carrier structure. It also helps when you are lifting a spare tire that weighs anywhere from 75 to 120 pounds by shifting the weight towards the truck and not having to worry about the tire falling off before you get the lugnuts in place.
Sorry, I was not meaning to bash the design, I just like the looks the other way. I get the angle helping with the removal and so forth of the tire plus I am sure it adds some serious balance to the system. I think the hinge desing is genious, keep up the good work.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by handsome rob
Sorry, I was not meaning to bash the design, I just like the looks the other way. I get the angle helping with the removal and so forth of the tire plus I am sure it adds some serious balance to the system. I think the hinge desing is genious, keep up the good work.
No offense taken. We try to produce products that not only function properly, but also look well thought out. We have more things we are working on that we hopefully get out early next year.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Denny, This tire carrier is super beefy and I'm really happy how it looks. Now I'm confident, my rear door may not fall off with the weight of my tire! Now I'm thinking about a Jerry Can mount and maybe a shovel/ax mount on the vertical pole. Having a welder and access to cheap steel always keep my creative mind working!

Last edited by bosshogt; 11-14-2011 at 03:17 PM.