Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted to share about a vacuum leak and the codes associated with it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted to share about a vacuum leak and the codes associated with it.

Hi guys,

This was a huge pain in the *** first off. Mostly because I wanted to have an easier solution than performing a free and quick vacuum check to identify a problem.

Here's the problems I was having:

Rough idle almost to the point of dying, soft brakes and awful mileage. The codes I was getting consistently were: P1171, P0174, P1174, P0171, P0102, and P1884.

New plugs, wires, O2 sensors, fresh oil and the problems were still there. Did a vacuum test with a "Colorado Cigar" and found a good amount of smoke coming from under the front end of the plenum. Sprayed some starting fluid directly to the injectors I could reach and the first two seemed to be the culprit. On a side note, I did have a pretty bad oil leak from the front of both valve covers that seemed to play some part in the seal failures.

I ordered the plenum gasket and valve cover gaskets online, and got the injector seals for $.50 a pop at the LAPS. All together the gaskets/seals were about $60. Took my time and replaced them all with the help of the RAVE. Started it up and all I have to say is wow.

Perfectly smooth idle, brakes are perfect and stop real nice, and the lights were off. I also had the three amigos which mysteriously also left me with this fix.

Moral of the story? Get on those vacuum leaks as it may be a simple fix. I was of course a nay-Sayer for way longer than I needed to be. Hopefully the next guy that's ready to drive this thing off a cliff reads this and doesn't get to the point I was at.

Mike

Old 01-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Club Cheetah
Hi guys,

This was a huge pain in the *** first off. Mostly because I wanted to have an easier solution than performing a free and quick vacuum check to identify a problem.

Here's the problems I was having:

Rough idle almost to the point of dying, soft brakes and awful mileage. The codes I was getting consistently were: P1171, P0174, P1174, P0171, P0102, and P1884.

New plugs, wires, O2 sensors, fresh oil and the problems were still there. Did a vacuum test with a "Colorado Cigar" and found a good amount of smoke coming from under the front end of the plenum. Sprayed some starting fluid directly to the injectors I could reach and the first two seemed to be the culprit. On a side note, I did have a pretty bad oil leak from the front of both valve covers that seemed to play some part in the seal failures.

I ordered the plenum gasket and valve cover gaskets online, and got the injector seals for $.50 a pop at the LAPS. All together the gaskets/seals were about $60. Took my time and replaced them all with the help of the RAVE. Started it up and all I have to say is wow.

Perfectly smooth idle, brakes are perfect and stop real nice, and the lights were off. I also had the three amigos which mysteriously also left me with this fix.

Moral of the story? Get on those vacuum leaks as it may be a simple fix. I was of course a nay-Sayer for way longer than I needed to be. Hopefully the next guy that's ready to drive this thing off a cliff reads this and doesn't get to the point I was at.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for sharing. Where did you get the plenum gasket? I boogered mine a little when I replaced my harness and it is bothering me.

Best,

Charlie V

Old 01-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Three Wheeling

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR6621.cfm

Here's a link someone posted in a previous thread. Overall it was a real easy job. Took 5 hours and if I had to do it again it would probably take 3 max. I tend to move a bit slower the first go around.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks for the link. I went through the same procedure last week (exact same) and I am curious how you managed to get the rubber rings off the bottom of the injectors without damaging the supports that sit under them (bottom most on the injectors). I used a pick tool to grab the rubber and stretch it but ended up damaging a couple of the metal parts that hold the rubber rings in place (luckily I had spare injectors). I'd never done it before and was just "winging it".

EDIT: Bought the gasket; thanks

Last edited by Charlie_V; 01-22-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I've been battling this issue since I had the motor swapped, but can't afford to go 2-3 weeks (possibly longer) without my vehicle to have my indy make right what took almost 9 months to do from the start. All the while him saying yea it's gonna be just like I promised......well it hasn't because he ripped me off hard and I'm continually feeling the effects including leaking seals (all supposed to be brand new), metal shavings in the oil, rough idle, and horrible mileage.

Anyways sorry to vent there.

Glad you got yours fixed. Looks like that will be my next approach.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Three Wheeling

I cut them off with an exacto knife. That way I couldn't mix old and new. Truck is on day two of ZERO lights on the dash.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

this tread gave me the confidence to replace the injectors on 03 disco. I had the same issues rough idle etc. replaced all injectors and all is good! Any advice on new ignition switch?

Old 06-21-2019, 11:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smoke test and lousy idle

I did the cigar raft pump smoke test that I found on youtube. Immediately located the booster leak, however after that it got tough. I can see smoke coming from under the upper intake manifold, however you can't see anything under there really except the #1 injector, which looks like it has a lot of smoke coming out around it. Is it really possible for the injector seals to be leaking that badly? The car has been running well since I got it, but lately has started idling like crap and is throwing a bunch of codes. Also, should the engine ideally have no smoke coming out of it anywhere, or in other words is there anything we need to "block off" to do the smoke test?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2019, 08:35 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by gsxranger
I did the cigar raft pump smoke test that I found on youtube. Immediately located the booster leak, however after that it got tough. I can see smoke coming from under the upper intake manifold, however you can't see anything under there really except the #1 injector, which looks like it has a lot of smoke coming out around it. Is it really possible for the injector seals to be leaking that badly? The car has been running well since I got it, but lately has started idling like crap and is throwing a bunch of codes. Also, should the engine ideally have no smoke coming out of it anywhere, or in other words is there anything we need to "block off" to do the smoke test?

Thanks
I wouldn't expect any smoke under the upper intake in normal circumstances doing a smoke test.

When my injector seals had problems it was more of a burble of gas around them... that quickly evaporated. Smoke could escape there. The o rings fit tightly when they are doing their jobs.

If the little o ring is cut or twisted then I can imagine it looking like smoke when gas squirts past the seal and hits the hot lower intake, too, but I always smelled gas in those circumstances.. The only other part that could be problematic under the upper intake that I can remember is the plenum intake gasket. Are you using much pressure for the smoke test? You could probably inadvertently press smoke past the plenum gasket if you had much pressure and that would not necessarily indicate a problem.

If you replace the o rings be sure to put a light coating Vaseline on the o rings to make them go in without rolling. I did NOT do that the first time I replaced them and it was multiple disasters. I did the second time and had no problems.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 06-22-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thanks for the tip

The pump I'm using is a cheapie, so I can't imagine it pushes much pressure. I was surprised how well the test works. The source of the smoke appears to be below the plenum gasket, the guy before me did the head gaskets and I wonder if he didn't torque the lower intake properly. It's a lot of smoke, like there's a hole in the valley gasket (which I can't see how there would be.) I have to do plug wires anyway, so I'll work my way in there and do the whole shebang including the injector o-rings.