Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water ingress driver-side

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022 | 11:10 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Water ingress driver-side

I'm getting water in the driver-side footwell. Any ideas on where to look next would be appreciated. I started noticing wet carpet when getting in and out of the Disco several weeks ago. I chalked it up to melted snow I tracked into the truck spilling over the floor mat, but that's not the case. After replacing my PAS pump today, I pulled some of the trim from driver's footwell to get a look under the carpet, and it was soaked. It's definitely water - no other fluid. It's not my sunroof drains. I redid my sunroof seals (sealant and foam rubber seals) and made sure all the drains were working in the Fall, and I checked again just to be sure . . . poured 8 oz. of water in and got 8 oz. out. It's winter in Montana, but I checked the A/C drains just for kicks, and no issue there. I've seen threads about leaks after windshield replacements, but I haven't had anything done with the windshield other than a chip-repair.

It was dark before I could pull the seat, console, or any other pieces to really dig in, and there's a winter storm heading our way, so I probably won't be able to do much with it for a week or so, but if anyone has any suggestions for the next most-likely cause or other things to check for, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2022 | 07:30 PM
Mudding

On an old ‘04 I had, I would get water all in the front passenger footwell after a wash or when it rained. Ripped everything on that side of the truck apart looking for the leak. Couldn’t find anything for months. Finally I noticed that there was a hole in the top of the A-pillar. It was on the outside of the truck right under the roof gutter. It looks like the factory didn’t complete the weld there and water would get in and pour down the inside of the A-pillar. I ended up covering the hole with some 3M strip caulking/dum-dum strips. Water never came in again.

Check everywhere around the outside and use a hose to test.

The following 2 users liked this post by specops1526:
JohnZo (02-20-2022), matt3502 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022 | 09:26 AM
Rock Crawling

Top of the A-pillar at the windshield corner or roof rail mounting holes. I had a smallish leak that would show in the headliner. When I had the headliner out for recovering I remove the roof rails and they were full of water. I have an 04 with the larger rails. The rails on the 03 are smaller so not sure how they seal up. I also sealed the upper corner of the windshield and rain gutter. Between the two I stopped my leak.

Old 02-21-2022 | 10:17 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Thanks. I will pull the A-pillar trim when it stops snowing and warms up a bit and look over the seams and the area around the corner of the windshield. Pretty sure I’d crack the trim if I went at it right now.

I don’t think it’s the roof rails, as I haven’t seen any signs of moisture on the headliner… (which would really suck, as it’s recently redone), but I’ll add it to the list if I don’t find the source elsewhere. I did change my roof rails to the ‘04 rails, but that was probably 2+ years ago, and I haven’t had any problems with them previously.

Old 02-21-2022 | 11:27 AM
Rock Crawling

I did not need to remove the trim to seal the upper corner. It was more the gutters that have factory seam sealant that cracks with age and the gap between the windshield and body at the upper corner.

Old 02-21-2022 | 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling

I fixed mine after finding a leak under the screen cowl, I have also attached the official way to fix the 'A' pillory leak

Attached Files

Last edited by frostythor; 02-21-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2022 | 12:31 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Awesome! That's a big help.

Old 02-21-2022 | 01:34 PM
Camel Trophy

Here you go a TSB on water leaks

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
water_ingress_to_headliner.pdf (170.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-21-2022 | 02:45 PM
Winching

There was a TSB issued about water into headliner and A pillar. I think I attached it here. If not, PM and I will get it to you.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
water_ingress_to_headliner.pdf (170.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-21-2022 | 04:49 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Thanks all for the technical service information. It should be a big help when things thaw out.

Quick Reply: Water ingress driver-side