Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water ingress driver-side

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022 | 04:53 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by frostythor
I fixed mine after finding a leak under the screen cowl, I have also attached the official way to fix the 'A' pillory leak

Thanks again for the info. Where were you seeing water in the interior? Did you figure out specifically where your leak was coming from, or did you just seal everything possible under the cowl and that did the trick?

Old 02-22-2022 | 03:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Hi I removed the cowl to fix my wiper motor, as it was a nightmare to use as it was always banging and I thought it was the wiper hitting the 'A' post it turned out to be loose on its base plate and I could see the base plate was rusty on the inside seal side as as I removed it,

so I cleaned it up as resealed the seal on it

then I had a general clean up and found under all the crud that sits in the corner this item

yes the old rust moth had been at it, so I fitted a patch with electric glue

and gave it a good coating of black hammerite

and that when I found the grommet on the electric cable was loose in the hole so I applied lots of sealer, and a full coating of hammerite, and not only have I now have no wet carpet's my Landy is a joy to drive in the rain as no incessant knocking with the wipers on

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022 | 07:12 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Gotcha - Thanks again. I’ll report back what I find.

Old 03-07-2022 | 12:10 PM
|
Three Wheeling

My problem may be with the weather-stripping/door seal. I’m a little perplexed as to how it’s getting inside the cab, as the seal is still there and isn’t obviously trashed (certainly it’s not as snug as it once was), but, after our latest round of snow, melt, and freezing temps, there was ice inside and outside the cab in the vicinity of the a-pillar and the bottom-front corner of the driver’s door. I would have thought, if all the water getting into the cab was from the deal, I would have had ice throughout the seal down the length of the a-pillar, but it was just in the bottom corner.

The carpet was frozen to the floor-board, so I couldn’t immediately get under it to see if the ice on the inside may have seeped in from somewhere else and just accumulated near the a-pillar b/c of the contour of the floor. It didn’t take long to get the carpet thawed, though, and I think it was just the residual moisture I wasn’t able to completely remove before the freezing temps set in. When I did get the carpet up, there was no obvious trail of ice or water from anywhere else.

I’ve got the carpet pried-up now, and we’re expecting more snow over the next couple days. Hopefully when this next round of snow melts and freezes, I’ll be able to tell for certain if it’s coming from anywhere else.

Has anyone else had this issue that was caused just by an older door seal? If so, was alleviating it as simple as replacing the seal? Thanks.

Old 03-07-2022 | 01:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Did you check the rubber seals at the top corner of the windshield ? I had that exact issue and that was the fix

TSB attached

Attached Files
Old 03-07-2022 | 02:21 PM
|
Three Wheeling

If you mean these rubber corners on the windscreen finisher, I did check them. I noticed some dried and cracked sealant underneath them, but nothing that looked like a real gap or void. I applied some new sealant to fill the cracks. I guess I can pull the interior a-pillar trim, and, if that’s where water is getting in, it should be obvious when this next round of snow starts melting. I can’t see that being the cause of the ice that went up and over the bottom front corner of the doorway, though. If water was traveling down the interior of the a-pillar or down the side of the windshield, I think I’d have had a bigger pool of water/ice on the floorboard instead of ice frozen in the corner of the door seal and traveling down both sides of the bottom lip.

Top left corner of the windshield with the corner of the windscreen finisher pulled back to allow for inspection - per the service bulletin.

Old 03-07-2022 | 03:02 PM
Camel Trophy

@WarrenZ That is spot the water travels down the A-pillar, mind you I had a big hole under there, you try some duct over it as a test.