Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leak Upper A-pillar (D2)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leak Upper A-pillar (D2)

I noticed my headliner was wet just above the passenger and driver's doors after driving in the rain. I also noticed old staining from this happending before (but I hadn't ever noticed it before). Culprits could be leaky windshield and/or door gaskets, or ??? Has anyone ever experienced this? It seems strange that is suddenly showed up on both sides at the same time. To further describe the area where the water seeped through, I'm talking about just above each front door and to the front of the grab handles.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:14 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had similar situation with water coming although my problem is worst when the truck is parked.

Could be leaky gutters, but first check your roof and sunroof drains for clogs. Mine had a bunch of pine needles jammed in it so the water was pooling up and seeping in. I still have some leaking during really heavy rain, but clearing the drains helped a bit.

other culprits could be : leaky gutters, leaks where roof rails attach?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You might also do some research, there was a TSB from Rover regarding leaking "A" pillars and the necessary fix.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Leaky A Pillar Drivers side 2003 Discovery

Hello,
I had this same problem. I added some silcone clear caulk to any opening I could find in the driver top gutter area. It has almost stopped the problem. But when it rains I still get a wet corner in the drivers side headliner. When it gets nice out again I will see if I can find any other holes to fill.

Has anyone removed the A Piller cover to see if there is any place to caulk and seal up???....That is my next guess. Time to install the Mantec snorkle so there is real reason to remove the A Pillar cover

Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM
TReK

Removing the A-Pillar was going to be my next attempt at figuring out the problem. I am also researching for the TSB Mike referred us to. If I find either fixes my problem I will let it be known.

There are also few older posts here with troubleshooting tips.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Mudding

Try tightening down those roof rack mounts as mentioned above. That completely cleared up the leaks on my DI.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Clogged sun roof drain.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a leak that would be in different spot everytime it happed. Depending on which way I turned the water that had leaked in durring the rain would run the oppisite direction and leak. I fixed this problem by running a bead of silicone around the outside edge of mysunroofs. I mean between the plastic housing and the actual painted roof of the truck. I climbed up on a ladder one day looing for the preoblem and noticed that I could see a gap between them and knew that was the problem. I couldve probably slide a penny between them in certain spots. I used black silicone since my rover is black and If i didnt point it out....You'd never know it's there.

The following users liked this post:
glopez2k (07-05-2020)
Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Mudding

If you remove the outside A pillar cover (per the TSB) you will find the culprit in the top corner. Its a real pain to get back on. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:01 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco C
If you remove the outside A pillar cover (per the TSB) you will find the culprit in the top corner. Its a real pain to get back on. Good luck!
Any tricks to getting this on and off easily? I'm going to attempt this tonight. It's rained for 2 weeks straight here and my leak is being exploited.

Quick Reply: Water Leak Upper A-pillar (D2)