Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump removal and having issues....Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 909wheeler
Great. Now I'm on Amazon's Pneumatic fan clutch wrench email list. . . along with Gibson Les Paul's, National Dobros and a host of other things that they are tracking for me.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

they all have a little locktite on them(at least both of mine did), your are replacing the water pump correct?
clamp the impeller in a vise and use a big adjustable you should be able to break it free

Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO you are money ahead if you change both the pump and the fan clutch at the same time, thay do tend to hold hands and jump off the clift together.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

And when reinstalling the fan clutch, only hand tighten it so it will not be so hard next time.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished my water pump/head gasket repair two days ago, I have to say that spending the $70 at autozone for the universal (ford etc) fan clutch wrench was worth it to not have to fight tooth and nail to get the fan off. No hammer needed, just put both on and it came right off.

Autozone will also do a free tool rental if you don't want to buy one.

I replaced all my hoses and t.stat and fan too while I had everything apart. I'd recommend it while you have all the parts off, I think most guys on here will too.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re: Autozone will also do a free tool rental if you don't want to buy one.

Good intel for everyone.

re: I replaced all my hoses and t.stat and fan too while I had everything apart

Wise choice.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Besides what was said, this is the way I did it:
Crescent wrench with duct tape over the adjustment part so it wouldn't move
Long 10mm wrench to hold onto of of the pulley's
A couple rags stuffed into a couple of the pulley's
Big rubber mallet
Stuff the rags in, hold onto the 10mm wrench with your left and give one good whack with your right. I only went with the extra step of the wrench on a pulley to help stop the spin as I tried for an hour without it to no avail. Also, like DM said, don't go nuts tightening it up as it spins that way anyway. When I had to take it off the 2nd time it was so much easier and I was able to do it with just the mallet and wrench.
Also, I borrowed tools from AutoZone and they didn't work out.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
8th Gear

Just went back and checked, I bought my fan clutch wrench from Advanced not Auto Zone
This wrench , they also do the free tool rental.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear

Hey Guys, thanks and it came off like butter. I got a big crescent wrench and bought chain lock pliers. Put the pliers on the pulley and one whack and it was done. The only issue now is that while I was removing the pump one of the bolts sheared off. I am trying to fix that now.

On another note....why would LR use such crappy plastic tubing for the coolant lines? As my luck would have it, the over flow line on the top of the rad broke off and I will need to do something about that. I don't have enough on there to clamp a hose to...any ideas on how to solve that issue? Thanks

Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sgt.Stone
Hey Guys, thanks and it came off like butter. I got a big crescent wrench and bought chain lock pliers. Put the pliers on the pulley and one whack and it was done. The only issue now is that while I was removing the pump one of the bolts sheared off. I am trying to fix that now.

On another note....why would LR use such crappy plastic tubing for the coolant lines? As my luck would have it, the over flow line on the top of the rad broke off and I will need to do something about that. I don't have enough on there to clamp a hose to...any ideas on how to solve that issue? Thanks
You'll need a new radiator. I did the same thing and after multiple attempts at fixing it, I finally just gave up. The plastic gets very brittle with age.

Quick Reply: Water pump removal and having issues....Please help.