Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wd-40??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if you can get this stuff anymore but (and by all means keep the women and children away from it) I use thick 100% silicone. I have a good bit of it left from my car daze. It takes three washes to get it off - great stuff. O, you should wear rubber gloves when using any silicone product = it can penetrate the skin, not really something you want cycling through your system

Old 08-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by llPANCHOll
So I was reading July's issue of LRO (Land Rover Owners International) and some guy was talking about using WD-40 on the plastic bits on his Land Rover.. I think he was talking about a Series II or III and how it blackened up the Headlight Surrounds quite well and lasted longer than any Back to Black product he has ever used.. I was thinking of finding a test patch to give this a try as the plastic bumpers have long since gone back to grey since I bought it and used the Mothers Product...

Anybody else ever use the WD-40 method??
Believe it or not, one of my colleagues uses WD-40 to shines his expensive guitar. He claims store brought instrument gloss contains some alcohol or what not. So if it works on his $$ guitar, I'm sure it won't do any damage to the fenders trims or bumpers.

Speaking of these products, does anyone knows what dealers uses to wax the interior/exterior of the cars before they sell. My seat is still very slippery and glossy. Is it Armour-All?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

step one. apply wax
step two. wait for wax to turn "white"
step three. buff off white wax with clean towel or rag...

have you never waxed a ca before?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by discoxd
step one. apply wax
step two. wait for wax to turn "white"
step three. buff off white wax with clean towel or rag...

have you never waxed a ca before?
he makes the kids do it

Old 08-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
he makes the kids do it
I could see that....

Spike, we are talking about the white residue from waxing over plastic trim, or weather striping, or anything else that is not paint. if not done carefully you can easily get if in those places. i get it on my plastic door handles and slightly on top of the wheel flares.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Krylon Fusion for plastic on my fender flares for my Jeep back in AZ. After over two years of being in the AZ sun it has not faded. It's good stuff.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jycsalas
I could see that....

Spike, we are talking about the white residue from waxing over plastic trim, or weather striping, or anything else that is not paint. if not done carefully you can easily get if in those places. i get it on my plastic door handles and slightly on top of the wheel flares.
I have waxed a car...once...to much work so I let the car wash do it, drive in, drive out, done.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hand waxing is for people that actually love their vehicles, car washes are kind like an Au Pair and children.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Hand waxing is for people with OCD, the car wash is for people who understand that there are bigger and better things in this world than a car.

I can wax my truck for a hour, or I can go to the park with my wife and play with my kids for a hour...my kids will come first each and every time.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I let my kids help me wash and wax the car then I get the best of both worlds! (well the 5 year old only gets to clean the brake dust off the wheels! LOL)