Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Shifting Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird Shifting Automatic

Hey guys, this vehicle is new to me, so let me describe my "problem" and please tell me if it's normal or not, because I'm not sure.

The automatic trans in this rig seems to have a predisposition for lugging the engine. Even under moderate throttle it will generally shift around 2,000 RPM; it acts very much like a diesel in its shift points. It's also very aggressive in the torque converter lockup, it will lockup in third (and fourth) real early, often dropping the RPM below 2k when I'm trying to accelerate up to speed.

In order to provoke a downshift, or keep the truck in gear longer, I practically have to mash the throttle to the floor-- but when I floor it, it does respond and will run the engine clear to 4k or beyond, like it's supposed to. But I seem to be missing a happy medium.

I certainly appreciate the economy associated with the early shifts, but it's sometimes difficult keeping up with traffic when the engine is pulling through 1,800rpm - 2k (give or take) the whole time. Keep in mind it will do this at up to about 3/4 throttle, which doesn't seem right. If I manually shift using the shifter, I can make it shift at 3k (or wherever I choose)-- and the engine doesn't seem anywhere near as labored when I need quicker acceleration.

I understand this engine is a low RPM torque laden dinosaur that's very diesel-like in its powerband (no top end). But something tells me a 3k rpm shift shouldn't be too much to ask. Is something wrong with the electronics that shift the tranny?

Also I'm at about 5k elevation which sucks a good dose of power out of an already anemic engine-- maybe the shift points are correct but better suited for a lower elevation where lower RPM torque is more abundant? Open to ideas and suggestions here. Thanks all for the help!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

That does sound early. Have you tried sport mode? No codes, for tps or something?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing. I thought it is just how they a built.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No codes or SES light.

If the sport mode is doing something, it's hardly noticeable.

As I said, I DO appreciate the early shifts in most driving. It makes the shifts less noticeable and it it really makes for comfortable cruising and low noise levels with the engine just loafing along. Fuel mileage is also good, I get around 17mpg. But the early shifts kill any hope for performance, and some city driving around here requires getting up to cruising speed rather quickly,

A happy medium like 2.5-3k shifts under moderate throttle would make for a nice "sport" mode. Instead I really have to mash the gas pedal to eek some revs out of the thing, which IMO, light to medium throttle would be sufficient if it would just wait a little bit before shifting.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

On mine, Sport Mode makes a considerable difference. Maybe time for a Trans Fluid Change?

Old 02-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

My sport mode also noticeable stretches the sequence.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same symptoms and my sport mode does not make any noticeable difference. I wonder if it is related to the whining noise I get when I get up to speed?

Old 02-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about any linkage that might need adjusted? I've read about that causing problems on DI's. Its called a kick-down cable?!?!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Does a normal code scanner pull trans codes, or is it a specific scanner? I know my AutoCom reads them, but I don't know about my $60 Autozone scanner.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:19 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

when was the last time you changed the fluid and filter?