Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weld-on diff guards and diff oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: weld-on diff guards and diff oil

ORIGINAL: Disco2Guy

So UrbanPanzer, are you using the regular D2 diff guard for the rear, and just the TD5 version up front?
Yes, the Rear is a QT disco 2 rock slider / diff guard, but the front is from a Defender TD5 (same axle)as I wanted it to bolt on, not weld on. The reason the "original" QT design was weld on is because (so I was told) that the early Disco 2's had a plastic tray underneath that got in the way when you had full axle deflection and a diff guard fitted, hence the Disco 2 one is sort of "half" height, and needs the lugs welding on as it does not "wrap over" the top. On the other models ie defender this was not an issue, hence the diff guard wraps right over the diff and bolts on like the rear one.

After fitting the rear to mine, I wanted the same "bolt on" type for the front, hence my conversations / discussions here in the UK with QT services, they thentried a defender TD5 front one and it fitted no probs (incidently the plastic trayI mentioned earlier was deleted on later Disco 2's). It has pleased QT that I was a little "fussy" as they can now offer the Defender TD5 front guard as a Disco 2 bolt on solution.

Its a nice neat fit, and its better as it adds some protection to the diff flange and the track rod on the steering as well, also its "completely" removable to.

Have you looked at the piccys on my webpage ?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: weld-on diff guards and diff oil

I have checked out your site many times, mainly for the CDL install so far. That's good info about the early D2's, I'll have to ask some of the guys in the club (with QT's) what type they have up front. Thanks as always UrbanPanzer!!