Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck is this noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2021 | 09:09 AM
|
Mudding

UPDATE

I found a small thin strip of belt on the driveway

I inspected the belt it shows plenty of wear definetely has to change I am not too sure how the belt runs but on the left side when facing the engine there is a black pulley that the belt seems to go through and I can’t figure out if it’s come off or not I’m attaching a picture​​​​​​​

I also found what looks to be like a broken very soft metal circular piece sitting on the part of the engine near the bottom where the belt runs

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Oshawa_D2; 06-17-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2021 | 09:40 AM
Pro Wrench

check harmonic balancer.

Old 06-17-2021 | 09:45 AM
Pro Wrench

Here's your problem. See how that pulley has run out? That soft piece of metal looks like part of a bearing dust cap and you can see shiny metal on the shaft where the pulley used to ride. I would not drive the truck until you fix this. Without that pulley your belt will go slack, and you lose all your ancillaries, leading to an imminent overheat.

Old 06-17-2021 | 09:55 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by ahab
Here's your problem. See how that pulley has run out? That soft piece of metal looks like part of a bearing dust cap and you can see shiny metal on the shaft where the pulley used to ride. I would not drive the truck until you fix this. Without that pulley your belt will go slack, and you lose all your ancillaries, leading to an imminent overheat.

I drove it 10 miles last night without my torque app on. I hope I did not over heat it. However the belt right now is still very tight

Old 06-17-2021 | 10:05 AM
|
Mudding

My mechanic Is 10 miles away. Do you think it is safe to take there? The towing company wants $100

Old 06-17-2021 | 10:07 AM
TReK

If you have a socket set, this is a simple job to do yourself. Do not drive it like that.

Old 06-17-2021 | 10:14 AM
Pro Wrench

10 miles is possibly safe but it's impposible to predict when that pulley will throw in the towel and fall completely off. If you're feeling lucky, drive it. Keep the windows down and the radio off. If the noise stops, pull over. You probably will not have time to watch a gauge and intercept an overheat. It will happen quickly as soon as the water pump stops spinning.

As mollusc points out however, this is simple repair. Two or three wrenches and 15-20 minutes. You will need at minimum that tensioner and a new belt. This is a much smarter, and safer, approach.

Old 06-17-2021 | 11:15 AM
|
Mudding

Do I need a special wrench or tool to takeoff the fan? I watch the Atlantic British video on YouTube and the wrench that he uses to takeoff the fan seems to be very skinny can I get a regular size wrench in there and what size is that wrench

Last edited by Oshawa_D2; 06-17-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-17-2021 | 11:22 AM
Pro Wrench

Yes,a 36mm fan clutch wrench, however you don't need to take the fan off. It only makes the job a little easier due to clearances. You can get them on Amazon for about $20, a good tool to have if you intend to continue wrenching on these trucks. Aka owning/driving one, the two go hand in hand. That aside, you need a 15mm to apply pressure to the tensioner which will release the belt so you can remove it. In your case, you may as well cut the old belt however it will snap back if you do so be careful. Then you need a 14mm or 9/16" (I think) to unbolt the bad pulley. Then replace the pulley and snake the new belt around the fan, put pressure on the tensioner once again so you can slip the belt on and then release. If you've never done it before (and it sounds like you haven't), it can be a little daunting to get the belt on and off because it requires some strength and dexterity, especially with the fan in the way, but this is a simple job in the grand scheme of things.

Edit. TAKE PICTURES. The belt only goes on one way and the routing can be confusing.

Old 06-17-2021 | 11:30 AM
Pro Wrench

This is how you take tension off the belt. Put a long wrench (15mm IIRC) on the bolt in the center if this pulley, sticking up, close to the battery, and then lever it over to the driver's side (US trucks). It will be hard, that's why a long wrench helps for the added leverage. You are not removing it, only rotating it. The hoses and crap will be in the way but it's doable. Once the belt is slack you can slide it off that pulley. Installation is the reverse of removal once you get it routed correctly. Get the belt on all the pulleys and it you'll see that it won't reach over the tensioner pulley. Use the long wrench to rotate the tensioner until the belt finally goes onto the pulley.

The following users liked this post:
mollusc (06-18-2021)

Quick Reply: What the heck is this noise