Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck is this noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2021 | 12:14 PM
Pro Wrench

It's much easier with the fan off but if you haven't had the fan off recently it could be a bit of a pain to remove. I've done this all both ways and they both work just fine.

Old 06-17-2021 | 02:07 PM
|
Mudding

Is it possible to change both pulleys and tensioner without taking the fan off?

Because I plan to change the tensioner both pulleys and of course the belt. I figure I might as well change all because I intend to on the truck for a bit more

Old 06-17-2021 | 03:18 PM
Three Wheeling

If you're doing the belt yourself, make sure you have the replacement properly routed. It is VERY easy to put it on incorrectly. Also, since you're replacing pulleys, be careful not to damage your radiator in the process.

Old 06-17-2021 | 03:19 PM
Pro Wrench

It's definitely possible but it won't be fun. Hell, it can be done on the side of the road at night without a light in the rain if the situation requires it. Anyone who can get you all those parts can likely get you a fan clutch wrench so you may as well bite the bullet. In addition to the fan itself, the shroud is also in the way and with those removed the job is much simpler. You will need to hope that the last guy put some never-seize on the fan clutch threads, or at minimum put in on only hand-tight. A stuck fan is a bitch. You can buy a kit that has the fan clutch wrench and a holding tool, but those often require some creativity to use together.

Old 06-18-2021 | 02:40 PM
|
Mudding

Well this is the fan wrench I am buying. It’s the only one I could find

https://www.princessauto.com/en/fan-...t/PA0008908477

Old 06-18-2021 | 02:42 PM
|
Mudding

If you look at the photos it seems the idler pulley is coming off. Is it possible for me to get that to sit back more in enough to make it more secure to drive the 10 miles required?

Old 06-18-2021 | 03:32 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by ahab
Here's your problem. See how that pulley has run out? That soft piece of metal looks like part of a bearing dust cap and you can see shiny metal on the shaft where the pulley used to ride. I would not drive the truck until you fix this. Without that pulley your belt will go slack, and you lose all your ancillaries, leading to an imminent overheat.

I don’t quite understand what has happened it looks like the belt is cutting through The pulley. It should be running on top of this right? But if you look closely it looks like half of the pulley is half inside the belt. How is that even possible

Old 06-18-2021 | 09:10 PM
Camel Trophy

Looks like pulley bearing froze up, pulley stopped turning, melted belt. Don't drive it. Make repairs, where it sits, or you will be sorry. In ten miles, it will be overheating to the point of doing damage to the engine...and you'll end up with expensive yard-art.

Old 06-18-2021 | 10:00 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah, the MC Escher belt pic gave me pause too. It's a mind-bender for sure. I wasn't going to dwell on it since the smoking gun (or pulley, as the case may be) was definitely the bigger action item in the pic.

Regarding the link to the princesstools fan clutch wrench, I didn't see the size called out in the ad, maybe I missed it. I was recommending you get something like this:

Amazon Amazon

The 32mm wrench in the kit won't be of any use to you but it seems that most kits that have the holder tool have the two wrenches. The important part is 36mm. That's what you need.

Edit: Didn't notice you're in CA. Here's a link to amazon.ca that sells the wrench you need. It doesn't have the holder, but the cheapest one I saw that does is twice the price of this one.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by ahab; 06-18-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2021 | 11:28 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Looks like pulley bearing froze up, pulley stopped turning, melted belt. Don't drive it. Make repairs, where it sits, or you will be sorry. In ten miles, it will be overheating to the point of doing damage to the engine...and you'll end up with expensive yard-art.
that explanation makes sense. So you are saying the belt was moving over the pulley and the friction melted it right?

I already drove I about ten miles when the noise first started. I hope I have not messed much up, I really like this vehicle

Quick Reply: What the heck is this noise