Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck is this noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021 | 11:36 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by ahab
Yeah, the MC Escher belt pic gave me pause too. It's a mind-bender for sure. I wasn't going to dwell on it since the smoking gun (or pulley, as the case may be) was definitely the bigger action item in the pic.

Regarding the link to the princesstools fan clutch wrench, I didn't see the size called out in the ad, maybe I missed it. I was recommending you get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Clutch-Re.../dp/B07W8XTCH8

The 32mm wrench in the kit won't be of any use to you but it seems that most kits that have the holder tool have the two wrenches. The important part is 36mm. That's what you need.

Edit: Didn't notice you're in CA. Here's a link to amazon.ca that sells the wrench you need. It doesn't have the holder, but the cheapest one I saw that does is twice the price of this one.

https://www.amazon.ca/ATPEAM-Clutch-.../dp/B092HY6GKG
it was 36 mm so I bought that one. Thanks though. Appreciate it.

Old 06-19-2021 | 02:04 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Oshawa_D2
that explanation makes sense. So you are saying the belt was moving over the pulley and the friction melted it right?
Yes, it looks like it melted...and there is a thin strip still left intact along the back side of pulley, that's why the belt didn't come off completely.

Yes, ten miles, already at operating temps and loosing a belt...would be dangerous situation. My 01 blew a pulley/belt, continued driving it to work, about a mile and it was pegged in the red on gauge. Mine lived though. Hopefully, you'll be that lucky...but there's a huge difference between one and ten miles.

Making the repairs will be relatively easy, even for someone with minor mechanical skills. I usually just remove upper portion of shroud, four screws/bend upper hose out of the way to finish removing shroud, and get at everything okay..

Good luck..

Old 06-19-2021 | 02:17 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Yes, it looks like it melted...and there is a thin strip still left intact along the back side of pulley, that's why the belt didn't come off completely.

Yes, ten miles, already at operating temps and loosing a belt...would be dangerous situation. My 01 blew a pulley/belt, continued driving it to work, about a mile and it was pegged in the red on gauge. Mine lived though. Hopefully, you'll be that lucky...but there's a huge difference between one and ten miles.

Making the repairs will be relatively easy, even for someone with minor mechanical skills. I usually just remove upper portion of shroud, four screws/bend upper hose out of the way to finish removing shroud, and get at everything okay..

Good luck..
do you think that whole ten miles I drove with the belt seized? Or do you think it was some how running. I am tempted to start it up just to see

Old 06-19-2021 | 02:27 PM
Camel Trophy

Looks like the belt is in the same position, melted area still touching pulley...so...l'd say nothing is turning. And that little bit of belt that is still attached...won't last long running across that mounting area. You can start it and check, and if it's turning...keep your face out of there incase that belt snaps.

Personal, l don't know why you'd bother and take a chance at making things worse.

Old 06-19-2021 | 06:26 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Looks like the belt is in the same position, melted area still touching pulley...so...l'd say nothing is turning. And that little bit of belt that is still attached...won't last long running across that mounting area. You can start it and check, and if it's turning...keep your face out of there incase that belt snaps.

Personal, l don't know why you'd bother and take a chance at making things worse.
no I am definitely not going to drive it. The repair will be done in drive way. I was just curious if it is seized and I actually drove home the ten miles with the belt seized. But that would be impossible I guess.

Old 06-22-2021 | 10:40 AM
|
Mudding

Well guys I need some help and motivation here I have Murphy’s Law in effect 😂😅

- I could not get the fan to budge even with the 36 mm wrench and even with added leverage from a breaker bar I had even used spray from the night before to loosen it up

- then I broke the plastic cover over the alternator and also the bolts while taking that off because it was completely seized also (photo attached)

- without removing the fan I was able to take out both pulleys and the tensioner and the belt

- I then opened up the package that came from rock auto it was a completely wrong order which included a T-shirt and a hardhat three pulleys and two tensioners BUT it was missing the one pulley that I actually needed because that was the only one that was broke. Regardless I replacd the one pulley that came and the tensioner also. There is no telephone number on their website and it’s not very user-friendly so I’m not sure if I will be ordering from them again

- I then started calling around for the missing pulley which is the one on the left side when facing the truck right beside the tensioner it’s the 70 mm one... for some reason most places don’t have this the local Land Rover dealership had it for $70 I bit the bullet and ordered it ,, it’s supposed to arrive tomorrow morning

Old 06-22-2021 | 10:55 AM
Pro Wrench

Welcome to the world of DIY auto repair. Many trucks are missing the AC compressor/ACE pump cover anyway so I wouldn't worry about that. Shame that it broke but it won't hurt anything not to have it. You may be able to use the extra 80mm pulley in place of the 70mm. In theory it will just mean the belt needs to be a little longer to accommodate the larger pulley, and the tensioner should allow for that. To be honest I'm not positive this will work because I've never tried it but if I were in your sandals I'd give it a shot. This could buy you time to find the correct pulley from a place like Atlantic British where it's only $26.

You need some kind of a holder for the water pump pulley when you try to loosen the fan, otherwise it will just spin. That was why I was recommending that kit since it came with a holder tool. They never fit great, but I've had to resort to them on some particular hard fans. Make sure to use Never-Seize on the threads if you ever do get it off.

Here's a phone number for Rockauto, not sure if it will help but it's a start.

RockAuto, LLC Corporate Headquarters
6418 Normandy Lane
Suite 100
Madison, WI 53719
1-608-661-1376

Old 06-22-2021 | 11:21 AM
|
Mudding

Welcome to the world of DIY auto repair. Many trucks are missing the AC compressor/ACE pump cover anyway so I wouldn't worry about that. Shame that it broke but it won't hurt anything not to have it. You may be able to use the extra 80mm pulley in place of the 70mm. In theory it will just mean the belt needs to be a little longer to accommodate the larger pulley, and the tensioner should allow for that. To be honest I'm not positive this will work because I've never tried it but if I were in your sandals I'd give it a shot. This could buy you time to find the correct pulley from a place like Atlantic British where it's only $26.

You need some kind of a holder for the water pump pulley when you try to loosen the fan, otherwise it will just spin. That was why I was recommending that kit since it came with a holder tool. They never fit great, but I've had to resort to them on some particular hard fans. Make sure to use Never-Seize on the threads if you ever do get it off.

Here's a phone number for Rockauto, not sure if it will help but it's a start.

RockAuto, LLC Corporate Headquarters
6418 Normandy Lane
Suite 100
Madison, WI 53719
1-608-661-1376

thank you for the info, $26 with shipping into Canada probably is only going to be a $20 difference after everything is said and done so I’m just going to stick with the order that supposed to arrive tomorrow morning at the local dealership because I need to get things running, need the vehicle for work.

I had watched a video on YouTube from British parts where he put the 36 mm wrench on the fan and whacked it with a rubber mallet and it just came off …. I tried the same thing with pretty much the same tool and it will not budge

Old 06-22-2021 | 11:26 AM
Pro Wrench

That works on a fan that has been off recently, or one that has not been overtightened. I have found that for old fan clutches which have not been disturbed for some time a holder tool is necessary. Especially in your case where the old belt is not helping hold the fan firm either.

Old 06-22-2021 | 11:57 AM
|
Mudding

That works on a fan that has been off recently, or one that has not been overtightened. I have found that for old fan clutches which have not been disturbed for some time a holder tool is necessary. Especially in your case where the old belt is not helping hold the fan firm either.
here is what I tried to use?
what sort of holder for the water pump?

Quick Reply: What the heck is this noise