Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what kind of pipes do ya'll like?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sorry guys!

I havent been on in a while. I had emergency surgery to remove my appendix and than the openings got infected so I have been a bit preoccupied with trying to stay alive. I will post some pics of the underneith so you can see it and I will try to figure out the sound. If you know how to do that I would appreciate the help, I am not a computer genius so it could take me awhile.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the medical prob. A buddy just went through that. He ended up with a scar from sternum to pelvis and lost enough intestine to the infection that he has a bag on him at all times.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:47 AM
Drifting

sorry to thread jack, but what is the resonator? resonator = muffler?????

Old 11-04-2009, 05:13 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by btbaus
sorry to thread jack, but what is the resonator? resonator = muffler?????
Discoveries have two "muffler looking" cans on the exhaust system. The resonator is the smaller one at the back of the vehicle, between the rear tire and bumper. The muffler is the bigger one in the middle of the vehicle, pretty much dead center of the cabin.

This is what makes aftermarket mufflers tricky on Discos. Because of the centralized placement of the muffler, it tends to reverberate noise through the entire interior of the vehicle. Because of this, many owners looking for a throatier exhaust tone, just cut off the resonator at the back and keep the stock muffler.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Drifting

nice!! thanks!! ima cut it off, see how it sounds

Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by btbaus
nice!! thanks!! ima cut it off, see how it sounds
When you cut it off, cut between the resonator and the exhaust hanger, but leave as much pipe sticking out past the hanger as possible. Then run your truck down to a muffler shop and have them weld on a little "turn down" piece to direct the exhaust gasses down toward the ground - here's why...

...when I cut off my resonator, I didn't put on a piece to blow the exhaust at the ground. Sooo it happened to just get directed straight back and into the inside of the rear bumper - right into the backside of the left turn signal. A long enough drive and a few good high revs of the engine, and I was suddenly missing a turn signal... twice.

Yep, after replacing the turn signal... twice, I figured out that the exhaust gasses were heating up the metal spring loading mechanism that holds the signal assembly in place, then a good blast from a high engine rev, and the signal was getting blown out of the bumper.

So moral of the story, get the little turn-down piece. You can even grab a slip-on one at the auto parts store, though ultimately, I recommend having one with a good strong weld from the muffler shop. Worth it to not risk the slip-on sliding off and having to eventually pay for the weld job anyway.

Also.... if you don't think the sound is throaty enough for you, then you can move on to spending some cash money on aftermarket mufflers...

Let us know how it all turns out for you!

Cheers!

Last edited by JavaRacer; 11-04-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
7th Gear

There is no sound like the sound of a stock Land Rover. Very melodious..... Just my 2 cents.....

Old 11-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default More pics

It was really hard to get some good pics of the underneath of the truck since i do not have a lift accessable but i did my best.

Attached Thumbnails what kind of pipes do ya'll like?-155.jpg   what kind of pipes do ya'll like?-154.jpg   what kind of pipes do ya'll like?-153.jpg  
Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Three Wheeling

i just finshed mine on my truck ... and i see what ya'll ment about the sound in the cab of it... she has a good hum in the cab at 70 mph, if you don't want it loud, don't change it just cut off the resanter (spelling) if you want to hear her all the time go for it. a trush trubo is cheaper than a flowmaster and has a good sound ... god i can't spell tonight ...