Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What now? Overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014 | 01:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Agree. With an external leak you are just losing coolant to the world. But an internal leak pressurizes your coolant and puts coolant in the cylinders, ruins the oil and bearings. It will clean your cylinders with steam but it will also cause misfires and worse.

Old 02-12-2014 | 02:29 PM
Rock Crawling

"I was on the interstate when it first overheated so I did continue to drive it for a mile or so when it initially overheated but it seems to still be running fine still, except for the overheating thing.
After I limped it home stopping every 10 minutes or so to top off the coolant, I really had no other choice, I topped off the coolant again and parked it in the garage. It's been sitting a couple of days now and no coolant has leaked so it would appear it's only leaking when hot?"

Don't jump to conclusions, thinking that you have only to replace head gaskets. Overheating these engines only once, is enough to sometimes cause thin aluminum wall(s) to crack slightly, behind one or more cylinder liners. Don't drive it an inch, for you may have already created way more engine damage than you can live with, so have engine thoroughly checked for any possible slight cracking of aforementioned wall(s), for heads warping, from overheating, for heads having cracked slightly due to same reason. If heads are warped at all, they will need to be shaved flat again, by good machine shop (who can also check heads for warping, etc.) Just throwing in new head gaskets may not be enough, if other damage exists, and you would be throwing your money away on such a quick slam, bam head gasket change. If you go to effort to have heads removed, you should have machine shop do valve job as well, checking valve guides to see if they should be replaced, grind in valves and seats, etc. Before doing any engine work, though, assess what damage was done; don't guess at it.

Last edited by earlyrover; 02-12-2014 at 02:35 PM.