Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the point of buying extend front bump stops

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You don't want to use longer stops, just limits your turning radius.
Bump stops have no effect on turning radius.

Originally Posted by Freedom38
I was thinking something similar, I have this issue where after I installed my 2 inch spacer lift and I hit a pretty descent bump in the road I have this very solid and loud banging noise. Later on I figured out it was my axle hitting the frame or something like that. I was wondering if longer bump stops would fix this.
If it's, in fact, your axle hitting the chassis, yes, longer bump stops would keep your axle from getting as close to the chassis as it does now.

I think they come in different lengths so I'd use a heavy duty ratchet straps to compress your springs to the point maybe an inch from the chassis (you want to allow a little for the compression of the rubber bump stop) and take your measurement to see how long they need to be. At the same time you can make sure the axle isn't too close to something else.

That said, fish is right that it makes no sense you'd be hitting the chassis after the lift when you weren't before. But you can still use the method I described to really tell what is hitting,.

Last edited by antichrist; 08-03-2015 at 09:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by antichrist:
drowssap (08-03-2015), ZGPhoto (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

before my lift I could hit any bump and be fine, after my lift I have to slow down for any bump now, me and my dad were both bouncing on the front of the car and we coould make it do the banging noise. While we were doing that my brother was below the car seeing what it was, he said it was the axle hitting the front bump stops or something like that.
Its IMPOSSIBLE for the axle to be hitting the stock bumpstops after a 2" spring spacer lift. Think about it........if your axle was 5" away from your stock bumpstops before the lift, the axle would be 7" away from the stock bumpstops after the lift.

YOU need to get under the truck while your dad and brother push up and down on the front. Figure out where the banging is coming from. Pay attention if it happens when the suspension compresses or rebounds.

**** Wait a second.... Isn't there some issue with the driveshaft hitting the swaybar or frame crossmember when a D2 is lifted???

Old 08-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Its IMPOSSIBLE for the axle to be hitting the stock bumpstops after a 2" spring spacer lift. Think about it........if your axle was 5" away from your stock bumpstops before the lift, the axle would be 7" away from the stock bumpstops after the lift.

YOU need to get under the truck while your dad and brother push up and down on the front. Figure out where the banging is coming from. Pay attention if it happens when the suspension compresses or rebounds.

**** Wait a second.... Isn't there some issue with the driveshaft hitting the swaybar or frame crossmember when a D2 is lifted???
When it is lifted an unadjusted Panhard would move the axle left (drivers side). Just looked at mine. But I have way over two inches of lift (and now an adjustable Panhard but I went without for a couple of years) and nothing touches. That's interesting. Have to look that up.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Do you have two inch spacers for a body lift or two inch spacers on your springs? If a body lift I'd say something isn't tight because that would not change your suspension. If a spring lift did you get longer shocks? I'm puzzled by this.
The spacers are between the spring and axle, I did not get extended shocks, the front shocks are still at stock height since they are attached to the spacers as well.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by fishEH

The banging noise is at the end of compressing. When it bangs the suspension will not go down anymore and causes the suspension to go back up, whatever is hitting what is causing this.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The banging noise is at the end of compressing. When it bangs the suspension will not go down anymore and causes the suspension to go back up, whatever is hitting what is causing this.
And what's hitting?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by antichrist
And what's hitting?
You don't expect him to crawl under the truck himself amd check do you!?
Its much easier for us to troubleshoot over the interwebs.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

The spacers are between the spring and axle, I did not get extended shocks, the front shocks are still at stock height since they are attached to the spacers as well.
Okay, so the spacers sit below the spring perch I suppose. I have those, too. That would extend the space between the axle and the frame and other hanging components and make any bumping LESS likely due to compression but it would also kick your axle to the driver's side a little if you have a fixed length Panhard bar.

So, while I didn't have any issue with 2 inch spacers and an additional 3 inches of longer springs, you may have the problem suggested by someone else. I would compress the springs as described elsewhere in this thread or as you have before but have someone underneath find out where the touching occurs.

Honestly your springs must be a little worn if two people can compress them.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by antichrist
And what's hitting?

That is what I can't figure out, me and my dad bounced on the front of the car and my brother said it was the axle hitting something, the bump stops or maybe the frame, we still can't be completely sure.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:51 AM
Camel Trophy

That is what I can't figure out, me and my dad bounced on the front of the car and my brother said it was the axle hitting something, the bump stops or maybe the frame, we still can't be completely sure.
That's when you say "let me under there to see, that doesn't sound right". You're not going to learn anything by taking someone else's word for it.
I seriously doubt it's the axle being shifted.
The only way for this to get figured out is for you to get under there.

Quick Reply: What is the point of buying extend front bump stops