Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this sunroof hole?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default What is this sunroof hole?

All four rear corners of my sunroofs leak from this little hole.

They straight-up pour out water when I put water in the open sunroof trough. I have my headliner out for repairs and am trying to fix these leaks before I replace it. I’ve scoured the forums and looked at the RAVE diagram, but I cannot figure out what these holes are, or why they’re so easily leaking water. I’d love to plug them up with silicone but don’t want to ruin anything.

Here’s one more picture of just the spot I’m talking about. In the picture, it’s the lower of the two “tabs”. It’s like a hook that’s locking something above it in place. But water pours through that opening.

Oh, and my drain plugs are surely plugged, but that a separate issue. I’m trying to figure out how to get compressed air in that angle on top to clean out the hoses...

Last edited by za105; 09-11-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Pretty sure those secure the retractable sun screens. The tabs you see are the plastic end caps. On level ground, water should find its way to the corner drains first, but regardless I don't see a problem with sealing those holes with a bit of RTV.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Rock Crawling

That makes sense. Couldn’t find anything about those sun “blinds” in RAVE either other than a brief mention.

I’m definitely going to just seal those tab holes.

Oh, and my Rover sits at a slight backwards incline in my drive, and backs out down a steep incline, so the drainage through those holes is really noticeable.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:33 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

since you already have the headliner out, it's a simple matter to drop the sunroof trays rather than trying to patch things up in situ. that way you can tackle the drain corners properly.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok, I can absolutely confirm that both of those tabs in the picture are for the sunshade. There are three holes across the back of each sunroof, and when parked facing up an incline and putting water in the sunroof trough, water will pour out those tabs, even though all four of my drain tubes were completely unclogged. Is it just me, or are these sunshade tabs being open like this completely asinine? You're guaranteed water ruining your headliner if you ever park uphill with any water seepage.

Anyway, I dropped the drain pans and cleaned them well. But if water gets in there and you're parked uphill, I don't see how there's any hope for your headliner to not get more water damage by draining out those tab holes.

I tried siliconing the seam above the drain pan and around the actual sunroof, because when I poured water on the closed sunroof with the drain pan down, water practically poured inside the vehicle. The silicone helped, but it still dripped heavily through each of the bolt holes. Yet when I screwed the drain pan back up into the sunroof, no leak was apparent, no matter how long I allowed a water hose to run over the sunroof. Perhaps the screws pull the top part of the sunroof down tight against the drain pan, creating a tighter seal than when the drain pan is lowered and not screwed in to the top. After all, I could just push up on the sunroof when the drain pan was down, and the entire remaining assembly would pop up and show me daylight. I sure hope there'll be no more leaks... I'm putting the fresh headliner back in and calling it good for now.