Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this wire from the radio? Low volume?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's lightly clapping...I hooked short wires to the + and - of a 9V battery and touched them to the terminals of the harness.

note: there is no difference in the popping volume with the key totally off versus turned to the accessory position.

here's a vid, what do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPBeKxe0ORU

Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Winching

Also, the speaker wire layout is the same as Block B:
http://www.nexxia.co.uk/More_Information/ISO_wiring.htm

The wire colors are different, though.

Plus, maybe here's the kicker...I can't see any of the speaker wires from the harness going into the "amp". All the speaker wires from the harness have a "twisty" coloring (like a barber shop sign), while all the wires going into the "amp" are straight-colored lines (like a racing stripe). Plus there are WAY more than 8 wires going into the "amp", more like 15 wires.

BUT note that I have tweeters on my frame pillars, so there must be a crossover somewhere, right?

Last edited by oysterhead; 03-03-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like you either do not have an amplified system or the amp takes high level inputs, I would try wiring the speaker level outputs from your new radio directly to the speaker wires and listening to it, if this works you will need the new harness I mentioned to wire it up.

as for the tweeters on the A posts, they probably just have a capacitor wired to them to filter out the bass and they are probably just wired directly to the door speakers.

give this a try and let me know how it sounds.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Winching

alright, i'll get a metra harness number 70-9401 and see what happens.

for future reference, what was the factor that led you to conclude that i need high level outputs?

thanks so much, Chris, you're the man.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle

the fact that the sound level was low, usually its the opposite and people come to me saying they installed a radio and it is extremely loud at low levels.

like I said you should try to test it first to make sure. also do you have a factory sub?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Winching

i don't think i have a factory sub. where are they usually located?

also, i'll be installing a pac audio steering wheel controller. do you usually just twist its power wire (red) into the same junction as the red-to-red wire from the radio to the harness? if not, i dont see how i'd power the pac controller.

Last edited by oysterhead; 03-04-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

yes the power wire to the head unit is fine, and the factory subs are mounted on the back door. if you don't have one chances are it is not amplified, but with the way it is set up it should sound pretty good with an aftermarket deck in there, alot better than most vehicles at least!

Last edited by Rover Chris; 03-04-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Winching

finally, its in and controlled by the steering wheel! love the green.

certainly not hi-end sound, but better than the factory radio and, most importantly, i can control it with the ipod or usb.

last night my brother-in-law was like "duh, most factory amps take high-level inputs while after-market amps take low-level inputs" know-it-all.

a couple pics to end the saga...thanks much Chris.

Attached Thumbnails What is this wire from the radio? Low volume?-radio.jpg   What is this wire from the radio? Low volume?-radio2.jpg  
Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issues (getting little sound with volume way up). I have the Alpine/6changer and amp and I am using the Metra 70-1786. I am only installing an after market Alpine CDE-103BT CD player. I know the amp works because the factory unit when re-installed sounds fine. Thanks in advance. I have a 2003 LR DII S.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a way late post to this thread. I'm having the same issue, very low volume. But my situation is the opposite, my 02 Disco had a JVC stereo when I bought it about 5 years ago. It worked fine until recently. I don't want another aftermarket radio. I want to put a factory radio in it. I went to a salvage yard and bought and installed the radio in my truck. It works but the volume on it is very very low. When I took the JVC radio out the original wiring was 95% still there. The only wiring that was missing is the blue and green clips which also connect with a yellow clip of wires. I hope you know what I'm referring too. I can't find where the wires are that need to be connected to the green and blue. I just can't find the cut wires. Do I need the wires from the blue and green clips and is that the cause of my problems? Thanks for your help in advance.