Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining at 30-50 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining at 30-50 MPH?

Hey guys, have developed a whine at about 30mph through about 50mph. It doesn't change when the tranny shifts, its just a constant build and then disappears (or the engine noise is drowning it out). Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks and appreciate any assistance.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of shape is your driveshaft in? Has it been rebuilt? Is the whine from the engine or underneath (I know it can be hard to decide sometimes)? Do you get any vibration at that speed also? Does turning seem to make a difference? Could be lots of things at this point.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by discomedic4
What kind of shape is your driveshaft in? Has it been rebuilt? Is the whine from the engine or underneath (I know it can be hard to decide sometimes)? Do you get any vibration at that speed also? Does turning seem to make a difference? Could be lots of things at this point.
No idea bout the drive shaft, just bought the truck 4 mos ago, i put pics up of it in another post and the feedback was it has either been replaced with another LR drive shaft or hasn't been rebuilt. the whine sounds like its coming from underneath, sometimes it will have a slight vibration but not frequently, not sure about turning...

Let me know if there is anything else...thanks for the assistance

Old 07-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start by checking the front drive shaft u-joints - if they don't ALL have grease nipples then you need to replace them all. The factory drive shaft comes with one u-joint that has a grease nipple - the others do not have and they fail and cause all kind of problems. Look under "Write ups" and How To" for info on rebuilding the drive shaft.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Check the double joint where your front driveshaft connects to the transfer case. If you do NOT see any grease fittings on the u-joints, then you need to have that front shaft rebuilt with greaseable u-joints and a new centering ball before it fails. If it fails, it will destroy the transmission casing and possibly the transfer case and you will be out a hell of a lot of money.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Mudding
Default OK so...

Alright so i read the post on rebuilding the drive shaft and its looks a little daunting. Not sure I have the know-how or patience to do it. Can i buy another one from LR or Atlantic British?

Does the rear one need to be rebuilt as well or is this issue just related to the front shaft?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by RegT
Alright so i read the post on rebuilding the drive shaft and its looks a little daunting. Not sure I have the know-how or patience to do it. Can i buy another one from LR or Atlantic British?

Does the rear one need to be rebuilt as well or is this issue just related to the front shaft?
It's just the front shaft that needs rebuilt.

You can have a shop rebuild it for ~$250. Make sure they use greaseable ujoints, and install a new centering ball.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Banned

Buy the parts at Advanced and take it to a drive line shop and let them do it for you.
The rear drive shaft has 1 u-joint and that rubber flex joint, replace the flex joint if it has cracks and do the u-joint while its out.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Mudding
Default Done...

Just wanted to finalize this one...

I bought a Tom Woods and put it on today, most of the whining noise is gone...still have the knocking sound coming from the Torque converter. Going to tackle that next.

Thanks for the assistance.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RegT
Just wanted to finalize this one...

I bought a Tom Woods and put it on today, most of the whining noise is gone...still have the knocking sound coming from the Torque converter. Going to tackle that next.

Thanks for the assistance.

Hope you don't plan on doing a lot of highway cruising, they say the Woods drive shaft is a great piece of hardware, just not very compatible with cruising at 70 or so.

Quick Reply: Whining at 30-50 MPH?