Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Transmission w\ VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining Transmission w\ VIDEO

2000 Discovery II
182,450 miles
4000 miles since purchase
Transfer case HAS leaked since purchase, topped up ~1000 miles.

Started to whine (heard in the video link below) out of the blue about 5 miles from my house. Only whines in forward gears and whine increases\decreases with RPM. Goes away when switched to neutral. There are about 1100 miles since last check on the TCase. I do not have the tools at the house to check the fluid level today. Sounds like its coming from underneath and center of the truck.

I am pretty sure this is the TCase. My question to you, from the video, has anyone had experience with the SAME whining sound and can confirm?

Youtube Video:

Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, have you drained it to see what condition the fluid id in? Does it have metal flakes in the oil, how about the drain plug, is there metal chunks on the magnet?
Quit driving it till you get this resolved.
By the way, when was the last time both diffs and the tranny were serviced?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Drifting

I have not been doing the work on this vehicle, local garage has been "topping it up" for me every 1000k. I am having trouble finding a local that will even look at it, the nearest dealer is 60 miles away. So, no, I have not drained it, but I did catch a few drops today in a plastic container and there are no metal shavings to the naked eye. It is parked in the driveway until I decide on its fate.

This DII came with no transmission repairs in the history that I have, so its unknown.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would drain the t-case and pop off the inspection plate to have a look. It's a really simple job and might help you identify what is going on. Also, as Mike mentioned, just do the diffs at the same time. It will take about an hour and half total. 85w140 oil for both t-case and diffs.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Administrator

If you do not want to go broke by having a shop, "TOP OFF" your fluids, get better decide to get your hands dirty.
After 58 vehicles, it is about time you learn what makes this one tick before it breaks your piggy bank.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Drifting

I will be breaking out the tools on Saturday and check the TCase myself.

For what its worth, I broke both my hips a couple years back and walking is still a challenge, let alone crawling around the ground wrenching on high-mileage British trucks.

While I enjoy this vehicle, I don't think we are going to be long-term partners.....

Thanks for the help so far guys and by the response I gather you are both thinking the transfer case is the culprit....

Old 07-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Administrator

I can relate to that.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Default t case

its the t case .look for used one cost around 300 and a reseal kit 30 dollars .new ones are 2,800 to much a local drive line shop can put in ..call jameson in ken. sells land rover parts used 1 270-453-3991

Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Drifting

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Going to grab a 1\2" u-joint in the morning and refill that thing and see what happens.

If that does not quiet it down then I will look for a rebuild or you may see this thing on eBay.....

Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Drained about half a quart out. Very dirty. Added 2 full quarts and took it for a drive (2-3 miles)

No change.

The magnet on the drain plug had quite the nice collection though.

Runs fine. Shifts fine. No other noises. Quiet as a mouse at idle. Just that whine while accelerating or cruising. Goes away when I let off the gas or its at idle.

Torque converter?

EDIT: Found a couple threads, same issue, but NO fix.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ruising-46521/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ase-help-4393/

Last edited by collisoncorner; 07-20-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Whining Transmission w\ VIDEO