Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who rips off more in a dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:44 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Who rips off more in a dealership?

Is it the Service dept or parts dept? As a technician I can tell you its a parts dept. The labour rate sounds high but trust me its based on local property rates and the cost of buying all the required tools and equipment from the manufacturer. We go by the book for labour time. We don't upsell by double the amount and the like.

a dealer in San Diego might be 160 while one in Tennessee might be 101. Of course the independent in San Diego might be 110 but thats property values.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Guess it depends on the part. A TPS at the dealer was $108. NAPA was $134. I've never had service done at a dealer so don't know about that.

Eric

Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I just found out that my dealer no longer sells parts over the counter.
If they are not doing the work they wont sell you the part.
I guess they dont want any business do they?
And the labor rate at my dealer is $145 per hour with a minimum 1 hour charge.
Screw that.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cant you see the big picture...

Originally Posted by Spike555
I just found out that my dealer no longer sells parts over the counter.
If they are not doing the work they wont sell you the part.
I guess they dont want any business do they?
And the labor rate at my dealer is $145 per hour with a minimum 1 hour charge.
Screw that.

$145,00 per hour to work on a Fu$cking POS overpriced truck.... I can tell you that threw so very reliable sources that Tata motors has been trying to unload the big terd for sometime as there satisfaction rate verses law suits and customer service are in the crapper....They are not making any money for some time...Why do you think they have not changed the Range Rover design for over 10 years....'No $$$$...... not ford, BMW or anyone would invest a dime when your loosing dollars....

It's no big secret.....

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...831_565904.htm

Old 08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Spike that sounds wrong.

Honestly, I believe if you get your vehicle worked on at any dealer you should pay a lesser rate then if you buy the part over the counter. And in house pay should be the equivalent of commercial prices within five miles of the dealership. Let the commercial guys take the hit for parts.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Tata is building new plants in China for Land Rover.British government knows that , thats why they are hesitant to loan money to company that will leave British islands.We could expect cheaper parts and vehicles made in China in the future.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea about parts.
I've had two experiences with service. The thing stopped running on interstate one day and my wife called the LR hot line to get the free tow they promised. problem was they would only tow to a LR Dealer.

The next day the service manager called to tell me I needed windshield wipers and brakes. What the He!! do wipers and brakes have to do with it stopping?

Later they called and said it was ready. I got there and asked what was wrong. They had no idea. It started fine but there was a taillight fuse blown. They replaced it.

The Bill...$750.00

The other time I took it in to diagnose an electrical problem. They were wrong and I paid the diag fee and reminded mysel never to set foot in a LR dealership again.

Sooo, my vote is service is the biggest ripoff/

Old 08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Spike that sounds wrong.

Honestly, I believe if you get your vehicle worked on at any dealer you should pay a lesser rate then if you buy the part over the counter. And in house pay should be the equivalent of commercial prices within five miles of the dealership. Let the commercial guys take the hit for parts.
I agree that is wrong, I had to buy a axle oil seal, went to the parts counter.
Parts guy-"Not only do we not have it in stock we wont sell it to you because we are not doing the work.
Do you want to schedule a appointment to get the seal replaced?"
Me-"No thank you, I will order it on-line"

Now as for the commercial guys, I work for a small business, I drive for a living, we get parts cheaper than the public because we are a business.
A $1500 drive shaft for a Sprinter is $800.
A oil change at the dealer for my van is $50 using diesel oil, thats after the discount.
The guy next to me getting a oil change in his Cherokee pays $40, he gets 5 qts of bulk oil, I get 10 qts of they have to pump it into a can and make 2 trips from the back of the shop to get diesel oil and it still only costs me $10 more.
Who's getting screwed by the dealer?

I know you work at a dealer and more power to you, you are trained and specialize in Rovers and we are very grateful to have you on this forum.
I drive for FedEx so I support them, you work at a dealer so you support them, its all good.