Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco

Keep going with the lift, and you'll end up here and with VERY strong axles

Old 09-18-2008, 03:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually Spike, with the D2's you have to remove the hub to get the axle out. I don't understand how you're going to build-up axles. In one of my first replies (along with a few other people) I said GBR is about your only option for HD axles. RoverTracks has been working on some for the D2 for a while but there's no set date when they will be available.

If you're going to do a 5" lift with 285's your going to spend a huge amount of money. RTE's site says "Call for Pricing" for the D2 5" lift, but the D1 set runs almost $2900. That's before any shipping, front/rear driveshafts, HD axles, tires, and wheels (if you have 18"). That's at least $7K in parts alone. There's also labor if you can't do the install yourself. You just don't need to do this. There's a handful of guys that run a 5" lift on a Rover, and all of them know exactly what they are doing and why it needs to be done. I would not consider that a family trail rig. Maybe for a Jeep, but surely not in a Rover. You will also suffer from very poor gas milage. Have you thought about the COG (Center Of Gravity) being so greatly affected?

I'd stop worrying about the axles and look into stuff you'll really to start off with. Sliders, HD steering components (drag link, track rod, and panhard rod), bumpers, diff and gas tank guards. I am a believer in first having the right equipment to protect/get you out of a sticky situation before having the equipment that really gets you into that sticky situation.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jupiter Rover

What do you mean? Even the new non-solid axle rovers are better then most new 4x4s out there. Tacoms, FJ cruisers ect..
With out the D-110 in the US the four door Rubicon is all we have in that class of vehicle.
Its a open class with only one truck in it, how many 4 door Jeeps do you see a day ?

I will hope that LR will see the light and bring in the D-110 & D-90's

Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

D2Guy-I think this guy is a "troll". He is here to try and start trouble. I could be wrong but I doubt it. Notice that he hasnt listened to a thing we have said and the lift gets bigger and bigger all the time?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ha, I was thinking the same thing when I stopped writing at 1:30 in the morning.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Three Wheeling

These thoughts are not coming out of the air spike555! I called rover tyme, and we talked about it. They don't make a 4' lift, you can achieve it with 3' and spacers. I am doing my reserchand will find the right set up. I won't build my rig one way because of money. I'll build it slowley so it is capable for what I want it to do. I have beenoff roading since high school, now 28, and have had a few jeeps, ulong with others. I'll start asking axle shops and companies instead of here. Thanks.You dont just through a 3' lift and 285's on a disco to see if it will work for me or because people say , "OH, IT WILL MAKE IT THROUGH ANYTHING' ITS A LR!!"Waste of time! I just want to build it right ONE TIME! I like the forums because you all know from experience and you get to acually talk to wheelers. Plus theres no room for the word DUH in the vocabulary, so if your in the mood to insult, than don't answere my questions and post. Thanks.As far as the shock in the spring, that is not my question, I was just explaining what I seen! Front does, back the shocks are not in the springs, so any way, I wanted to know where is the air suspinsion that levels the truck out, I could not see anything under there, like air bags. Are they attachted to the top of the spring?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Three Wheeling

I take everything you guys say very seriously, and respect you for your knowledge. I'm just trying to get your opinion on all different sizes and set ups. I'm no TROLL, and DO not want to start any trouble, so quit insulting me and lets talk LR's like the forums aredesined to DO!!! I am defenatly leaning twords looking to see if any one make a full 4' suspinsion lift and run 285'sor, if not, then I'll just do the best 3' and through in a spacer, matched with 285. Thanks

Old 09-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Team Owner

Here is a better forum for what you are looking to do. These guys are gearheads and are into lifting their trucks.
www.discoweb.org.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Spike555

As far as the shocks being inside the springs, duh, that is how a true off road truck is built. The shocks are safely tucked out of harms way. The shocks are what holds the axle to the truck. Remove the shocks and anti sway bars and the axle will fall onto the ground.
PSSST Spike (whisper) Actually its the control arms that really hold the front axle......

Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Team Owner

Dan, I know, I was just trying to make a point in as few words as possible. He hasnt been listening to a thing that we have been telling him and I shouldnt let it get to me but I did. You try and help someone and when they dont listen to a word you say it is aggrevating.

Quick Reply: Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco