Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco

MMMMM, I'm really strating to see a pattern here....You sound like those kids in my Jeep club who's dad got them a Jeep and now they want to lift it sky high. Rovers are for those a little more mature that have reach a certain 'je ne sais quoi ! '......wisedom. Yep, that's the word I'm looking for. With your 'I want it all now' attitude, I sincerely think that you should go back to Jeeps for a while and come back in a decade or so. Nothing beats the top down and doors off when off road anyway!!!

But if you beg to differ, then follow at least part of the advice given and start small while learning what you need. And NO!! a 5 inch lift with 33 inch tires don't look classy in town at all! Unless your definition of class means impressing those kids in their dropped civics.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Dan, I know, I was just trying to make a point in as few words as possible. He hasnt been listening to a thing that we have been telling him and I shouldnt let it get to me but I did. You try and help someone and when they dont listen to a word you say it is aggrevating.
Wait till your kids become teens. You'll enjoy this all day long. I have a 16 year old daughter and as much as she asks for advice, she doesn't follow it.

Sometimes you're absolutely 100% sure that the message got through their head because your argument is perfectly logic and bulletproof....But hell NO!

By the way Spike.....the name is Steph and that is mewith the youngest one. Thank god, by the time she gets in her teens, thew oldest one will be an adult.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For large lifts http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/
to call use country code (011) USA then 0044-020-8211-4888

Old 09-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Steph-I have a 17 yr old son, a 7 yr old daughter and a 10 month old son. And NON of them listen, EVER!
It gets warm enough up there in Canada to go to a water park? LOL

Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ek5usmc

These thoughts are not coming out of the air spike555! I called rover tyme, and we talked about it. They don't make a 4' lift, you can achieve it with 3' and spacers. I am doing my reserchand will find the right set up. I won't build my rig one way because of money. I'll build it slowley so it is capable for what I want it to do. I have beenoff roading since high school, now 28, and have had a few jeeps, ulong with others. I'll start asking axle shops and companies instead of here. Thanks.You dont just through a 3' lift and 285's on a disco to see if it will work for me or because people say , "OH, IT WILL MAKE IT THROUGH ANYTHING' ITS A LR!!"Waste of time! I just want to build it right ONE TIME! I like the forums because you all know from experience and you get to acually talk to wheelers. Plus theres no room for the word DUH in the vocabulary, so if your in the mood to insult, than don't answere my questions and post. Thanks.As far as the shock in the spring, that is not my question, I was just explaining what I seen! Front does, back the shocks are not in the springs, so any way, I wanted to know where is the air suspinsion that levels the truck out, I could not see anything under there, like air bags. Are they attachted to the top of the spring?
Read MY posts. I told you all the axle options and what is involved with 3"+ lifts! If you want to build IT right, the Way you want it.. Then buy RTEs 5" but be ready to drop four grand in one week Just in parts. That is why I said go with there 2" lift (nets almost 3") put on 285s and see if that is all you need. You may be very happy with what a disco can do with the 2" lift on 33s with CDL+TC..

If you really want RTE 5" with axles+lockers you are looking at nearly 8-10 grand in parts alone....

If you have springs in the Rear, Then you don't have airbags. Is it That hard?

One last thing. You grew up with jeeps. These LRs perfrom Very differently. I wheel with jeeps on 6" lifts and 35" tires yada yada. Im on a 3" lift with 33s.. I do Just fine. Jeeps are not comparable with land rovers. What you can do on a jeep w/ a 6" lift on 35s" you can do even more with a disco on a 2-3" lift on 33s... Why can't you understand that?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Steph-I have a 17 yr old son, a 7 yr old daughter and a 10 month old son. And NON of them listen, EVER!
It gets warm enough up there in Canada to go to a water park? LOL
Well, then I guess you know what I'm talking about. I know you were jocking, but a lot of pewople have a mis-conception about 'up here' as you call it. Especially the southern part of Canada like where I live. For one Canada gets called ' the great white North' amongst other thingsBut last winter aside,we get much less snow than most of your northern states. And in a normal year, from May to Sept. the average temp is around 82 degrees with lots of day in the low 100s.

Later

Old 09-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Winching

I am only 20.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Only 20 and you have a '03? Man. I dont know if I should be jelous or not. lol
DanRover-Depending on where you live you might actually be in a lower hemisphere than me here in MI. And yes I was joking with you. Did you get your trun signal fixed?

Old 09-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Three Wheeling

I get it, I guess whoever had before me took out the air bags and put springs. So, maybe it broke? I don't hear anything wrong when its running. I'm guessing I just leave the air compressor under the hood alone? I fully understand about all your advice and dont want to over lift my disco, so I'll order a 3' rtl and run a set of 285's with my cdl+tc. That way I dont need a new rear drive shaft, just replace the roto-flex, put greasable ujoints inthe front, under armor diffs,fuel,and sterring,quik disconnects, and figure out what bumper set up to go with. 9-12,000 lb winch, a full 75k tune up and be done. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Just to clear it up, I said 5' with 35's not 33's, not going that rout anyway and I dont give a s**t about impressing anyone, just the trails. Thanks

Quick Reply: Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco