Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will be Buying Soon... Anything I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will be Buying Soon... Anything I need to know?

Hello everyone!

I will be buying a Discovery, between the years 1998 and 2004 sometime between now and October 25th. I am looking to spend $15k or less.

Does anyone have any last-minute, pre test drive tips for me? I would appreciate anything you have to offer wholeheartedly.

The only thing I can think of, is 'are there any "nice" packages? I know with Jeep Cherokees, there are "Limited" models of the Sport that have leather interiors and some chrome trim in the traditional plastic's stead. I realize all Discos have leather, but is there anything like that, or are all models pretty much the same "SE7"?

Thank you all, very kindly.

Pat

Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will be Buying Soon... Anything I need to know?

You won't need to spend $15K for a Disco these days. What are your plans with the truck, daily driver mall crawler or lots off road? How mechanically inclined are you? D1's are up 1994-1999.5 and D2's are 1999.5-2004. The 2004MY is widely considered the best year for the Disco. Stay away from the '03 trucks as some have oil pump issues. There is a VIN range you can check. If your plan is to off road at all don't get later MY '01-03. They don't have the CDL (Center Differential Lock). The '04 has it with the capability to engage it, while the earlier (1999-2001.5) can be fitted with the CDL linkage from a D1 or '04. You MUST use premium gas. Expect to drop a few grand to get the truck in great working order. Head gaskets and the "3 amigos" (do a search for them here) are big $$$ issues that are the reason some people are looking to sell. The '03 and '04 model have the 4.6L engine (with upgraded brake calipers and newer style headlights) while earlier D2's have the 4.0L. Report back here what you are looking at and we can give more advice.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Winching

Wow, 'RovrFlo' sounds like quite a vehicle.

Actually, I am an internet marketer, and I barely drive anywhere. But, I live WAY out in the Michigan countryside, my road doesn't get plowed during the winter, and my 1/4" long driveway drifts from 1-3 feet. Luckily, the 3 footers are powdery. My stock 1/2 ton GMC 4x4 and stock Cherokee Sport have no problem with them. Anyway, that's why I can't get a car... not that I'd really want one.

Still, when I DO travel, it's for the 600 mile trip out to Wisconsin to my partner's office, which I do probably 8 or 9 times per year. So, whatever I get has to be quiet and comfy on the freeway at 70mph.

Let me tell you... EVENTUALLY I plan on really turning this sucker into a tank of a vehicle... armored panels, glass and all. Just a hobby I have... don't read into it.

Disco2Guy, I really appreciate your advice, and in between my first post and this one, I have found a VERY reasonable Disco just a couple hundred miles away on AutoTrader. I am going to PM you the link though, because I am selfish and don't want to risk having it bought out from under me... hehehe.

Thanks to everyone who reads this... I apreciate that this forum was here in my time of need more than you can know.

Pat

Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Winching

Also, I neglected to mention- I'm certainly no 'mechanic', but I do what I can, and I get gratification out of it. It took me a couple weeks, but I was able to change the transmission and transfer case out for rebuilt versions within my 1992 GMC's underbelly. The truck had stopped locking into reverse, and since the fluid stank of burn, I assumed it was junk.

Anyway, you can take that for what it's worth. I WILL say that I have hardly any tools in my garage, and had to rent most of the stuff.

I'll also say that I'm not an electrician... the tail lights are messed up on the same vehicle, and the way I rigged them up dissallows the blinkers to work if the running lights are on, lol. Anyway, it's an older truck that costs about $30 worth of insurance to own, so I keep it around for hauling.

Hey It's cool that you have a SMART car next to your Disco. I'm going to get a motorcycle for my summer-time gas saver, just a cheap little Radian or something.

Thanks again for your help, friend.

Pat

Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Pat-I live in GR. You need any help with your Disco once you get it just shout.
You will need to rebuild the front driveshaft, it dos not have greasable u-joints and when it fails it will take out your transmission.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Winching

Spike, that is an incredible offer. I actually live much closer, I just used 'Lansing' as my forum ID. I'm just south of Ionia, near the 96 ramp- about 30 miles from GR.

Several of my friends live down there, so perhaps once I get it, I can hook up with you and we can marvel over our machines, or hook 'em up to chains... whatever you Land Rover guys do

That must be a strong driveshaft if it'll ruin the tranny before snapping or something... unbelievable!

Hey guys, is there a big difference in power between the 4.0 and 4.7L V8s? Can I go wrong either way?

Man, I've been reading about these things and CRAVING one for almost 4 years now... I can't believe I'm this close to buying one. My quarterly bonus is due on Oct 1st, and all my other affairs are in order. My wife wants a new pistol, but she's agreed that turning my "Jeep-Trouble" into "Disco-Fever" is more important.

Thanks again for the post. When I get it, I will be posting a TON of pictures here, you can be certain.

Pat

Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The 4.0 and 4.6 are the same engine just different stroke. 4.0 has 182 HP the 4.6, get ready, has 188 HP.
D2Guy had his driveshaft come apart, he has pic's. The double cardon is VERY heavy and the transmission is cast aluminum and they are only inches apart.
Do you and your wife have conceal and carry permits? If not I can hook you up with a friend of mine who is a instructor.
And yes, us Rover guys are a different breed. And for those trips to cheese country you can expect 18 mpg at 65.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Winching

Holy crap, 18mpgs?? Wow... I'm very impressed. I expected 12.

Yes, we've both got our permits. I'm actually the Operations guy for the USCCA (United States Concealed Carry Association), which is the Internet Marketing position I alluded to. Our main thing is a print magazine that helps Armed Citizens live more safe and effective lives, but we are moving toward a web-based revenue stream, which is what I'm spearheading.

Hey- your friend isn't the michigancpl.net guy, is he (by some crazy coincidence)? I actually reviewed some of his targets a while back for our free newsletter- cool guy!

Anyway, it's always good to meet another CCWer... I wasn't going to say anything about the work that I did, because to the person unfamiliar with CCW in general, the idea of a private citizen carrying a gun around under their shirt seems a little 'out there' (and understandably so). But it's cool to meet people who do... good for you, friend.

Part of my fascination with Discos is how rugged they are- it sort of goes along with my 'preparedness mindset'. So perhaps there will be more 'gun people' who own LRs than I thought.

Over&Out, my friend.

Pat

Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much I can add to what's been said, but believe me you'll love your Disco. If you ever have any problems or questions, or even just pictures you want to share from the last wheelin' trip, this is the place to do it. Welcome to the club

Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, background: I am both a CCW permit holder and I am a Disco II owner. I am also a medic in the active duty army. Two out of the three of those positions make me appreciate the value of simple effective multi-use items. Sorry, the disco is not any of those - although it is the BEST and most fun of any 4x4 on the planet! (I will give "simple" up to fun 8 out of every 7 days a week.) I wonder how many of us LR owners are gun owners anyway - an aside to the topic at hand but i still wonder.
ok, back on topic: i know that preparedness is a frequent topic on this forum. I personally think the same personality that makes us have an extra 5 gallons of fuel on hand makes us more likely to be armed... who knows - feedback please.

anyway...
i shall start a new thread about how many LR owners are CCW holders in the future. maybe something about " LR owners - Whats in your pockets?"

pilsner
2000 disco II
132k and counting
Ft lewis WA

Quick Reply: Will be Buying Soon... Anything I need to know?