Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window washer tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Window washer tank

Hello all. Just got my disco 2 back from a full suspension rebuild. That was expensive but now rides like new. I am having a little issue with my window washer fluid. When i go to fill the tank it pours out of the bottom of the rover. Is this a easy look at hose, cracked tank? was just wondering is this something I can look at myself or do I need to take it back in to service. It was working no issues a few days ago so I know the pump is ok.

Thank you for all of the help. Love this forum,
Joe

Old 04-22-2019, 09:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Some on here have relocated it to the passenger side (NAS) firewall, which works if you don't have SAI. I think they use a different reservoir. Search "windshield washer bottle" to find it. A mod I plan to do someday...

Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

the tank and the fill pipe are two separate parts. make sure that the leak isn't just the join between the two pieces. i know that mine leaks out of there but i haven't bothered to do anything about it yet because once it leaks down low enough, the reservoir tank itself stays full.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

If the hoses out the bottom to the nozzles on the hood is disconnected, the fluid will also pour right out

Old 04-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Based on my experience, the washer tank can deteriorate and become brittle with age. It's possible that whoever was doing the other work on the truck somehow disturbed the tank inducing a crack that was inevitable.

This kind of plastic, for me, is generally long-lived, but in my experience a section of the tank that was exposed for some time to sunlight failed. I don't know if it was the UV rays or just age.

In any event it's all pretty simple plumbing that you should be able to investigate and repair. I replaced the one on my truck with one from a boneyard truck. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
the tank and the fill pipe are two separate parts. make sure that the leak isn't just the join between the two pieces. i know that mine leaks out of there but i haven't bothered to do anything about it yet because once it leaks down low enough, the reservoir tank itself stays full.
The gasket at the connection was deteriorated on mine. It's a cheap part to pickup. One issue is road debris can get in there and then clog up the pumps. Mine had a nice pile of sand at the bottom.