Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default windshield

So I need to replace my '03 Disco's windshield. There is a pebble crack and is now growing to the size of a quarter. Good news is that my insurance will replace it at N/C. However, some issues.

First, my windshield has the defrost wires sandwiched in the window. So, need to make sure that I get the same type and style replace. Anyone had a similar situation like mine? Were you successful with your insurance company to have them pony-up the money to get OEM?

Next, can any Tom, Dick, or Harry replace the front windshield? In other words, can some local franchise take care of this without messing things up?

Next, when removing the old windshield, are there any wires that tie into the windshield that control the defrost wires in the windshield?

Any other info you guys can share would be great.

Thanks,

Last edited by gbob; 09-11-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I had an aftermarket d2 heated windscreen installed in my 2003. No issues, and it was probably 1/3 the price of OEM.

Some people say the after market screens might leak or not be tinted the same, but I didn't have any issues. I think the leaking rumors are probably due more to poor installation than a problem with the fit of the glass.

Your insurance company might let you insist upon OEM. Some do not as long as aftermarket is equivalent. You might be able to make a case for OE by saying that the auto climate control relies on the special opticool tinting of the factory glass. I think it's a stretch though.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

i was out $560 for oe. won't do that again. i had the tom,dick, harry people come to my house to do the install. no problems

Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Any auto glass installer can do it. Just be sure they use proper windscreen adhesive. The windscreen is considered part of the body's structural integrity and using the wrong adhesive, like RTV or whatever, reduces the safety.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I just had a windshield replaced on my D2 yesterday by a local place for $180 installed. If your truck has a heated windshield, then insurance should replace with identical.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes, if your truck was delivered with a heated windshield they must replace it with a heated one.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Cool. Thanks guys. I'll phone my local windshield franchise outfit and set up an appointment to get this fixed.

Rob

Old 09-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to comment on finding an installer for your windshiled based on personal experience.

I had to have my non heated 03 one replaced and my insurance company set it up with a local company who sent out tweedle dumb and tweedle dee, a father and son team who I believe had never worked on a LR Disco before. They removed both of outside pillar trim pieces but had no idea how to get them back on correctly and in the process cracked them. They claimed the plastic was old and brittle and I later found out my insurance company (State Farm) does not cover trim pieces, just the glass and any gaskets.

They also removed the lower windshield trim where the windshield wipers are and cracked that! They put too much caulk there on the glass and the trim did not go back in place and it caused water to leak into the fresh air plenum. I had to take it back 2 times to their shop to get them to reseal the upper edge as it leaked when it rained.

This reply may be too late but I would check around for a glass company that does know how to do a Land Rover Discovery!

Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

"They also removed the lower windshield trim where the windshield wipers are and cracked that" Yes, beware of this, for I have known two cases where the clowns broke this same plastic, prying downward against it, maybe thinking it was metal. All that genuine Rover plastic must be handled with care; don't let them tell you that it is brittle due to age---it is simply plastic, brittle even new, period!

Old 09-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Rock Crawling

I hear you loud and clear chris and earlyrover. What you guys wrote is what I was alluding to about any "Tom, Dick or Harry." I don't want just anybody to replace my windshield. What you both have experienced is precisely what I am trying to avoid.

I haven't made the call yet to get mine replaced. What I am most skeptical is whoever I phone will claim that they have replaced windshields for discos, only to try and claim the "insurance money." I also checked with my LR dealer, but they were of no use.

There is one LR independent mechanic not too far from where I live. In fact, he used to be the master LR mechanic and the master Lamborghini mechanic for both the LR and Lambo dealer nearby (both owned by the same auto retailer). He opened up his own shop 3 years ago. I will phone him to see if he knows of anyone or which franchise he trusts to take care of the windshield for me.

Thanks,
Rob