Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield replacement. OUCH!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 05:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1

Any way. Can I install the heated windshield instead? Looks like wires are there. Seems like i could just add the button on the dash and be done?
The wiring harness behind the dash shoul have provisions for the switch. just pick up the on/off switch from a parts truck and should be good to go.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
The wiring harness behind the dash shoul have provisions for the switch. just pick up the on/off switch from a parts truck and should be good to go.

Dont believe it is that easy. I think the dealer has to reprogram the truck to recognize the heated screen. All the wiring should be present, just add the switch in the dash and get it reprogrammed, and you should be good to go.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth

Can anyone confirm that this is a "good" price for the glass?
Safelite quote me $454 which still seemed high given that the Heated screen in my Classic only cost $250.
That's about what I got quoted. and mine is heated as well.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:05 AM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieb
Can you please send me details of what/who you went with here in Texas? Mine has 13 years of pitting and USAA may work with us if I decide to call.
I'm with USAA as well Jamie, and I did not have to pay the difference between OEM and aftermarket. I do doubt that USAA will pay for a windshield that is pitted. They are not what they used to be in terms of servicing the membership.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

**edit*** just saw my typos in the subject line. That's what I get for doing this on an iPhone with fat fingers!***
Fixed it for you.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had mine replaced at ABRA Auto Body & Glass (I think they have locations in Texas). Insurance covered it but the receipt said somewhere around $650. And that's with the heated windshield.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Fixed it for you.
Cheers! I use Search a lot and typo's in the subject line causes all kinds of problems with searching the great knowledgebase here.

I'll probably replace the glass next month. I'll just need to decide whether I want OE glass or if Safelite will work. My dilemma stems from two things.
1. I have a big trip planned up to Prudhoe Bay in AK with my kids. The Alcan is infamous for rock chips.
2. In order to replace the glass, I have to remove my driver side fender and remove the Mantec Snorkel so it's a total PITA.

Seems like it's car repair month for me. I just sprung for rear brakes for my wife's LR4, my D2 needs 02 sensors and the RRC needs brakes all around and a full exhaust system.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

I'll just need to decide whether I want OE glass or if Safelite will work.
When Safelite replaced mine a few years ago they used an OE Pilkington (non-heated). YMMV. Call and ask.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by matt3502
I'm with USAA as well Jamie, and I did not have to pay the difference between OEM and aftermarket. I do doubt that USAA will pay for a windshield that is pitted. They are not what they used to be in terms of servicing the membership.

Thanks for all the input. I mainly was curious if the glass was some kind of specialty glass, or something standard and stock that most carriers had. Good to know it's standard.

The pitting just makes it very hard to see when the sun hits it just right. It can become a hazard by blocking visibility. I know it's likely a long shot they'd replace it, but I thought maybe one day at least asking USAA.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

when replacing the front windshield iv been told the side pieces will brake on removal and need replacing every time. is that correct? also that there like $80 a side.

anyone here ever worry about leaks after getting a windshield replaced?

Quick Reply: windshield replacement. OUCH!