Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Witts end!! Wont unock..

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 01:07 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK Hollis, just got back from the dealer and at least they definitively pinpointed my issue (which sounds similar to yours). It was a short, either in the wiring harness or the fuse box (left hand side of engine compartment). We were able to see mine easily as the fuse box itself melted on one side (sorry - had a thermal event). Looks like the only solution for me is fuse box & wiring harness replacement - probably 2-3k. At least it should be covered under the certified warranty that I purchased. For now I have a loaner and the parts are on order. I'll keep you updated as it progresses.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Mudding

thanks for the update..
im gonna check mine more closely..

Old 05-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK Hollis I will make a suggestion (dont know if it will work or if it will fix the problem but it may) this will be a bit tricky to do as you cant get in the passenger side door.

under the passenger side dash is your BCM, I would use the rave cd or ask someone to grab you a picture if you have trouble finding it. not sure how many plugs are in the 02 models but there are at least 1 - 22 pin plug and 1 - 26 pin plug. once you have located the 22 pin plug the wire at pin 22 will be a blue wire with a gray strip on it. you will need to tap into this wire and (with a small fused jumper wire, maybe a 5 amp fuse) you will tap this wire to ground 2 times (fairly quickly) this should unlock the doors, at the same time as the doors unlock your alarm should disarm itself if it is armed. if this works I would then leave your jumper attached and ready to do it again and then manually lock your doors and see if this fixes the problem. if it doesn't I would start checking the other actuators (it is very tough to do from the inside with out opening the doors but it is possible, just unplug them 1 at a time at the connector to rule out witch one may be faulty if any)

hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions

Old 05-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Mudding

ok... so I had a problem today which I did not have before... It started to click when I tried to start it, like it had a short.... then turned over... the radio needed to be reset so I know its a connection... I would assume this IS my fuse box under my hood? I am going to take a closer look tomorrow.. anything in particular I need to look for? Thanks

Old 05-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hollis
ok... so I had a problem today which I did not have before... It started to click when I tried to start it, like it had a short.... then turned over... the radio needed to be reset so I know its a connection... I would assume this IS my fuse box under my hood? I am going to take a closer look tomorrow.. anything in particular I need to look for? Thanks
Your battery was low/dead so the radio lost its memeory because it had no power.
Your whole problem may be a bad battery.
Throw it on the battery charger for the night and then try again in the morning.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Mudding

Im not so sure... it ticked like it was dead, then cranked right up like it was a short...

Old 05-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hollis
Im not so sure... it ticked like it was dead, then cranked right up like it was a short...
Dead batteries can do weird things, if you have a bad cell(s) inside the battery then when you try and start no go, try again and it starts.
Get the battery checked/charged and see what happens.
Is it the original battery?

Old 05-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Mudding

No. Not the original. I replaced it about a year ago. I checked out the fuse box and it is, or looks like it is in mint condition. Time to mess with the bcu. But I cannot get in there with out being upside down.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

there's nothing like being folded upside down under the dash working on these things!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
there's nothing like being folded upside down under the dash working on these things!!!
I have to use a ladder to get under the dash.

Quick Reply: Witts end!! Wont unock..