Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't fire after running ten minutes

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:25 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't fire after running ten minutes

After sitting overnight my Disco II will start and run fine. As soon as I shut it off it will turn over but not fire. I have to leave it sit for 1 hour then it will start and run fine until I shut it off and it won't start again for an hour. I have no dealer for 100 miles in my area and most repair garages won't even trouble shoot my 2000 Disco II. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe

Old 10-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Won't fire after running ten minutes

Joe, next time it wont start remove a spark plug and then reattach the spark plug wire and then turn the truck over and see if there is spark.
If there is no spark then it is your crank sensor.
You can get one from www.atlanticbritish.com

Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due to the fact that it runs for a few minutes then dies and will not restart until it cools, I wouldn't even bother with the spark check. Just like GM, the crank sensor gets hot, resistance multiplies and as a result, no signal is sent to the pcm to provide fuel. Get a friend to help you with this: Take the cover off of the engine compartment fuse box. Locate the fuel pump relay. Have a friend turn the key on while you feel and listen to the relay for a "click", then turn the key off, repeat to verify clicking of relay. Then turn the key on, wait for about 10 seconds to let fuel priming elapse, then have your friend crank the engine over and check for the click as soon as he starts cranking engine, no click at start of cranking= no signal from crank sensor to pcm, which in turn leads to no fuel pump operation. Do this check when vehicle will not start. If crank signal is present, then check the fuel pump itself, and then check spark.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a boat motor that did pretty much the same thing... it had a blown head gasket... hopefully this is not your problem too..
________
Live sex

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:28 PM.