Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Leaking Head.
Redo the head gaskets again
80.00%
Find a lesser mile Rover and start over
20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Would you???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Would you???

I am after member opinions here...

If you had a coolant leak on the drivers side rear head.

Redo the head gaskets again or look for another rover? 230,000 miles.

I did them around 140,000 about 4 years ago.

The only thing that concerns me is the bolt threads in the block. I had no issues with them last time.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:49 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

For $150 in parts and fluids, and a few hours labor, I think I'de try and fix it first.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:57 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

140k is very reasonable. Do it again.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
140k is very reasonable. Do it again.
It has 230,000, I did them @ 140ish couple years ago. I don't like automatics. Hate em. Yes they make things easy to drive, but they have a life cycle...standards usually last longer and if you're good with a clutch, you can make one last the life of the car...that's why I dread keeping a car over a certain mileage...transmissions always seem to go at the worst time.

The interior is in very good shape with nothing broken.

The body is in very good shape, there is one small dent, but its covered with a LR sticker.

The frame was repainted a few years ago, not a body off or anything, just laid underneath and attacked any rust etc, re-sprayed.

A few of the P/S hoses have separated where they meet the metal crimp. I remove the metal hose all together and add hydraulic hose from the pump to the cooler and that seems to work

When I redid the head gaskets at 140,000 I also rebuilt the heads, new chain, wires, plugs, coil, the whole nine yards. I did not do the oil pump as the one on there really did look new and the cover had zero wear.

One of my problems...
I bought a front shaft off of eBay couple months ago as the u-joints in mine failed. We drove it home and I replaced the shaft. Now I have a vibration and squeak with the new shaft. I smooshed grease into the ball portion of the shaft and it doesn't squeak anymore but the vibration is still there. When I added grease, I also noticed the new shaft felt very lose...didn't like the way it felt. I bought all the parts to rebuild the front shaft, MOOG 617, Moog 344 iirc, and am going to rebuild it next week. The shaft we just bought is about 5 months old but the seller wouldn't do anything for me...so I am stuck with it.

Cruise control needs some attention.

Master cylinder appears to have a small leak.

It seems to get an exhaust leak at the pipe to manifold gasket every year, if it isn't 1 side, its the other...then you have to change the studs as one of them always seems to strip out too...

There's not a ton of issues with it, I just wish it wasn't so needy all the time. I am trying to rebuild my 454 for my Chevelle and I cant because every single day I have off, my OCD wife wants something she calls "fixed", I call it "upgraded".

Last edited by shanechevelle; 01-17-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 AM
TReK

But unless it's a crack in the head or block, you'll have a running D2 to sell. Worth much more running good than for parts. And low risk considering how cheap and easy it is.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Just redo them. $100 head gasket kit and $100 to have the heads decked, plus you know the vehicle's history. Hell, do a dinkle ball hone and throw in new rings and bearings while you're at it if you're worried about the mileage. You're still under $500 at that point.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:14 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Just redo them. $100 head gasket kit and $100 to have the heads decked, plus you know the vehicle's history. Hell, do a dinkle ball hone and throw in new rings and bearings while you're at it if you're worried about the mileage. You're still under $500 at that point.
Where did you find the hone?
I'm going to need one once I get my engine out.
Stock bore is 3.7
First oversize would be 3.8
Only hone I can find is 3.75
Honing by hand(drill)isn't ideal to start with, as it puts waves in the bore.
I hate to pay a machine shop, but may have to.

Sorry for threadjack

Old 01-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Sorry for threadjack
Threadjack all you want...if it helps you that's what we are here for.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I plan on doing this over next weekend...I cant do it this week, I have a military obligation...so she has to drive it leaking till then.

I am concerned because I have never needed to change any chassis parts except some tie rod ends and I added a 2 inch terra firm spring, shock kit.
Both axles are untouched except for fluid, all four hubs are original, all the other stuff...

New Alt, new exhaust...tires...PS pump...

But I could just add these parts to the new rover...my thought is I would but another and use this one as parts.

I REALLY WANT AN ORANGE ROVER

Ours is white.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

They actually instruct you to get the exact diameter you need because they're already oversized. I was just going to get the 3.75" from eBay.

Quick Reply: Would you???