Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Leaking Head.
Redo the head gaskets again
80.00%
Find a lesser mile Rover and start over
20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Would you???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018 | 11:57 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Alex_M
They actually instruct you to get the exact diameter you need because they're already oversized. I was just going to get the 3.75" from eBay.
I know, but that's .005" too big, and half the size of the first over size bore of .010".
I'm sure there is some wear to the bores, but likely more to the old rings.
I need to look around some more.
If the bores in mine look good, and measure in spec, I won't really be concerned. But I would like to do it right, as well as knock off any carbon at the top of the cylinders.
Trying to avoid machine shop if everything measures good, as I think it will. Just re-doing everything while engine is out to pin cylinders.

Old 01-17-2018 | 02:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Golly Shane, you give me hope! 230k! Yes, keep it running. I am in the same situation as you, but with a 68 Bronco.

Old 01-17-2018 | 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

You have a truck that you know the issues of. Unless it's rotting out do the gaskets and get back to rovering.

Old 01-17-2018 | 03:47 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
Golly Shane, you give me hope! 230k! Yes, keep it running. I am in the same situation as you, but with a 68 Bronco.
We have an old service station outside of post, there is about 20 broncos in the back all over grown with weeds. The guy is very old but wont sell a single thing off of any of them.

Floors and things are rotted.

Old 01-17-2018 | 03:48 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
You have a truck that you know the issues of. Unless it's rotting out do the gaskets and get back to rovering.
True...

But its a daily driver and its not going to get better...

I have a ton of things planned for it in the next couple months, but I think I'd rather do them to a newer one.

Old 01-17-2018 | 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
X1 ............ "better the devil you know". You could buy another D2 with a bunch more of unknown issues.

Old 01-17-2018 | 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like you have quite a list of maintenance to do. Anyone can understand how that can be overwhelming. But if you get another one, as already mentioned, it could need as much or more than what you have now. Maybe a beater is in order to buy some time to get everything done on the Rover with no pressure. Then you can unload the beater to recoup some $; look at it as a rental? Probably save some gas $ if you get a little 4cyl. toyota or whatever..

Old 01-17-2018 | 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
True...

But its a daily driver and its not going to get better...

I have a ton of things planned for it in the next couple months, but I think I'd rather do them to a newer one.
New to you will have stuff to do to and possibly some questionable repairs in its history.

The devil that you know etc..

Old 01-17-2018 | 07:44 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
I REALLY WANT AN ORANGE ROVER!
So get it painted orange! Hugger Orange!

Old 01-17-2018 | 09:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I know, but that's .005" too big, and half the size of the first over size bore of .010".
I'm sure there is some wear to the bores, but likely more to the old rings.
I need to look around some more.
If the bores in mine look good, and measure in spec, I won't really be concerned. But I would like to do it right, as well as knock off any carbon at the top of the cylinders.
Trying to avoid machine shop if everything measures good, as I think it will. Just re-doing everything while engine is out to pin cylinders.
It's actually .05" (50 thou instead of 5 thou), which shouldn't make a ton of difference since they're made to flex to the size of the bore. For the job the dinkle ball hone does, I'd say it's plenty close enough. You're not boring or shaping the cylinder at all. You're just knocking off the glaze so new rings can seat correctly.

Quick Reply: Would you???