Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XRAD'S Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 401 Likes on 278 Posts

Drove 40 miles today. The 6 degree links make for very comfortable steering. Takes bumps w/out wandering. Easy to return to center. Also put in one of these (see pic).....comes with the red seal. And a real bonus was that my driveshaft vibration which came on at 40mph and left at 60mph has nearly disappeared (not sure exactly why as the angle is now 3 degrees more severe....maybe not a good thing?..maybe too tight....will find out in time... )

It has two internal aluminum rings to keep from collapsing with vacc, and which can pop out of place when installing. It is a little pricey for the product, but fits perfectly. I had to melt one of my 10mm plastic nuts a bit to get it to thread on...

Pic was for pre-assembly. You have to mount the air-filter side first, and will need a 1/4 inch socket (7mm worked but not exact fit), universal, and extension

Last edited by XRAD; 06-01-2019 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (06-02-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 06:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

THX Daytoman!

Was slowly losing antifreeze last few weeks, and hoping it was not the head gasket. Doing 55 down the road in a T storm last night and BAM! huge cloud of steam blocking windshield and coming through the air vents. 2 hours later, soaking wet and home after a tow (THX AAA!) went through the engine bay and found a ruptured heater hose (probably 20 yrs old!) Anyway, 5/8th hose, x4 clamps, and a jug of green antifreeze and back on road today! LUCKY!!! No overheat, no issues. Careful with the heater core fittings. They are thin aluminum.

Last edited by XRAD; 06-06-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

installed an 04 diff lock handle and cable. Not fun! Had a rusted H/L pin on the diff, and the H/L cable tie down 10mm bolt way on passenger side was a real PITA to get out. Had to dremel with a fiber cut off wheel all the rivets and the rusted cable pin. Someone was in there before me and quit half way through. Only some rivets removed and replaced. Front three were original. I machined out the cutout for the diff lock arm (just follow the old gasket pattern). Got it all mostly installed, and the diff lock works fine, and H/L works fine. The ABS/TC/DIFF lights came on so I know the diff lock switch works. Have to install my 2004 SLABS and see what happens....

So a few things I did:
-make sure you have all the new/old good parts ready to go INCLUDING all the clips and pins.
-10mm socket and mini breaker arm (no room for ratchet head) for the H/L cable passenger side mount.
-The four bolts for the H/L diff cable mount and the 2 bolts for the Diff lock cable mount are in VERY tight and thread-locked. Don't strip them, get a good 6 pt socket seated correctly. Going to need 3/8 strong flex joint to get a few of them out.
-I removed the neutral lockout solenoid front the diff lock selector
-Also, no need to mount the sheet metal shifter piece back underneath! Remove the old foam, add some single sided new 1/16 foam to the new 'bottom,' and with some stainless 1/4? self tapping sheet metal bolts(ace hardware), mount to the top of tranny tunnel. Much easier, and easy to open if needed. It raises the shifter by about 1/4 inch, which also keeps the selector cover from popping off so easily.

One question: There are three hard black plastic breather tubes laying on top of the trans/diff. One goes to the diff, one to somewhere mounted, and one is just an open tube (on top of tranny). all three are connected together by a snap clip.. I do not have a pic. Is the open tube normal? It had a smooth end and did not look to be broken off..... EDIT: Never mind, Found the answer here:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...eciated-80799/

it's a curved back breather from the transfer case and should be like it is....(see first pic ....borrowed from info thread cited above)

Last edited by XRAD; 06-25-2019 at 07:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XRAD:
The Deputy (06-26-2019), whowa004 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Swapped out the original grey center console for a mint black one (ALL window switch panel mount clips intact!). Soft top arm-rest. Cleaned up the rubber mat a bit. Unfortunately, forgot to check the lighter bulb before install, and of course it is bad. My old bulb housing is saved for some other day install..... Found that the E-brake cable pin clip was missing, but pin still in place. After some digging, found it down under the carpet near the console(nice!)

Installed the 2004 SLABS unit (think it ended in 150). No issues so far with warning lights.

Installed correct diff lock ****. Got a raised diff-lock instruction sticker from Europe (BAC501310) . Not sure if 40mph is a good speed for diff engage, but looks cool......

Kalahari seats, which are cool but a bit dirty and with a few small tears on driver only.....

NOTE: The easy way to remove the seat control panel is by inserting an angled rod up under the fixing tabs at bottom (small cut out holes in the trim edge) and lifting the tabs up, removing the bottom first. Install is opposite: install the bottom tabs first, then pop the top tabs into place

Anyway, getting there. Maybe weld up the patch panel passenger floor and the new headlight inner mounts tomorrow......

Last edited by XRAD; 06-25-2019 at 07:38 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by XRAD:
Daytoman (06-26-2019), hugo81 (06-26-2019), Richard Gallant (11-18-2019), The Deputy (06-26-2019), whowa004 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 01:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Installed my newer cleaner 04 headlights into the 01 body. You can still get the right angle brackets , mounting screws, and the plastic top adapters. I welded a bolt to the radiator support. Bolt head was flattened on one side so it sits flush against the frame. Now there is easy adjustment. You can see my 3D printed bracket. Using devcon plastic welder. great stuff. Did an oil change. Using 10w 40 high mileage Penzoil 'non' synthetic, and K+N oil filter. Went with K+N due to synthetic material filter, and allegedly having correct OEM bypass spring rate.

Started on the hole in the floor. Looks like the sunroof has been leaking for years. Did some rust repair along door sill with rust Mort (do not get it into cuts on your hand). Made a patch, not sure if going to weld in or use some self tapping stainless screws.

Also, I removed that black foam sponge crap surrounding the horns. Just soaking wet, and the passenger side front end body mount washer has completely disintegrated.....

Last edited by XRAD; 06-26-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

both sunroof drain nipples broken off! Rubber drain tubes and sunroof gutters clean. Some thin wall brass tube (maybe 5/16?) cut about 2" long. 15 min epoxy, followed by extra silicone.

Pouring outside, so will see if it works.....

Last edited by XRAD; 06-28-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Txting my girlfriend and writing this! She is a huge discovery fan! She will be smiling! Our disco is Running like a champ now(still a little rich )!

Last edited by XRAD; 11-10-2019 at 07:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Llamasayswhat (11-11-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Looks like fun times are over for a while. Had some new coolant leaks. Turns out to be over-pressure of the system from head gasket leak. Antifreeze condensing under oil fill cap and reserve coolant tank running low. So......have this to do now......went with BA's kit. Shame, she was running great.....

When warming up the engine on a cold morning a few days ago, I do remember hearing a few 'pssst' sounds coming from passenger side rear of engine.....

Someone was already in there as I can see the ARB head studs.....

Last edited by XRAD; 11-18-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, getting in there today. Got a set of machined heads off ebay. Look nice and saves me time. Flip phone pic!

The following 2 users liked this post by XRAD:
cvhyatt (11-28-2019), Richard Gallant (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 10:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 407 Likes on 261 Posts

Pretty sure that CDL/Hi-Lo sticker is for a Defender. That notch on top is the giveaway. Good find though!

Quick Reply: XRAD'S Disco 2