Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XYZ Switch Repair Misery

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 07:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default XYZ Switch Repair Misery

So my DII started doing the dreaded M&S flashing thing. I had the battery tested and it was bad so I replaced it hoping that would be it. No such luck. I tested the voltage at the battery with the truck running and it was 14.2 volts so I decided to pull the XYZ switch. First the head of one of the bolts sheared off while I was removing it. The bolt was seized within the slot, surrounded by a nice white mass of corrosion. Then when I went to loosen the nut on the selector shaft it too sheared off. I had sprayed it liberally with PB Blaster but it was rusted on there pretty solid.

After pulling off the switch, I was able to get the remaining portion of the broken mounting bolt out but I can't do much with the selector shaft. I opened up the switch and there was a discolored contact so at least it needed to come off. I cleaned it up nice and shiny and bent it back into alignment so hopefully it will work again if I ever get the thing back together.

So now all I need to do is fix the selector shaft. I don't want to pull the valve body and replace the shaft so I'm thinking I can pull up the carpet, core a hole through the floor next to the selector shaft and drill and tap it for a bolt to hold the shaft on. The flats on the shaft that keep the arm from turning are still intact so all I need to do is keep the arm from falling off the end.

Anybody else had to deal with this? Is there a better way?

Old 10-23-2015, 10:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just the flashing M S lights two days ago.

Changed the battery and it solved itself only after a drive around the block.. guess you need to give a little time for the ECU to clear the faults...