Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

y pipe broken bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts
Default y pipe broken bolts

A few months ago I broke the rusted bolts on the Y pipe ring while removing it from my parts vehicle. I tried beating what was left over out with a hammer, then a sledge. I couldn't tell whether they were pressed in or threaded. Since my buddy needed the Y pipe I checked the forum and couldn't find an answer.

Last night I was helping with ball joints and since we had the rented tool I tried it on those bolts. They pop out and are not threaded to the ring.

Just posting in case someone else has the same issue.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Yep, that works and you can also just heat them up with a torch and tap them out (assuming you have access to one). That's what my exhaust guy did when he saw I had it held together with a cheap pair of vice grips.
Amusingly enough, that's also what's holding my y-pipe to both of my exhaust manifolds right now. Two pairs on the passengers side and one pair on the drivers side.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Yep, that works and you can also just heat them up with a torch and tap them out (assuming you have access to one). That's what my exhaust guy did when he saw I had it held together with a cheap pair of vice grips.
Amusingly enough, that's also what's holding my y-pipe to both of my exhaust manifolds right now. Two pairs on the passengers side and one pair on the drivers side.
Hahahahahaha that's amazing.

I'll do you almost better. When I suspected the were studs and tried to beat them out I went in the garage and found my propane cylinder was empty so I got a can of wd40 and a lighter. It got really hot!!!!